Boring Saturday!

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by CGN, Mar 18, 2017.

1. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Well, finally decided that this Sat, I'd start tackling the GF's bathroom. Just a freshen up...no major surgery. Re-grout tiles, tile floor, decorate, fit towel rail etc etc.

Forgot how tedious it is to rake out grout :mad: Ususlly just grouting new tiles. Multi tool certainly helped, but boring boring. Was hoping to get floor tiled...no chance!
    Bit of flaky paint = stripping vast areas back to bare plaster!
    Busy with other things tomorrow, so floor tiling will have to wait till next Sat.

Now, I do all this sort of shizzle day in day out, so nothing unexpected, but what is it about doing work for yourself that's so b***dy annoying! :D

longboat and wiggy like this.
  2. It's because you are not getting paid.

Well not directly anyway :rolleyes:

CGN likes this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

:D I don't know what you mean!

4. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

He means you don't get paid directly (cash). But you get paid indirectly (in the bedroom)

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Thanks for the clarification Palavaman. The next time I need someone to 'read between the lines' you'll be top of the list! :D
    Sorry...the grout rake has been swappped for a liquid removal tool...of sorts! :D

Deleted member 164349 likes this.
  6. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Working on my own stuff too today CGN.

Lifted up all the flagstones (48 in total) from the rear of the garage, and taken about a foot of hardcore out of the 12 x 18 foot area. Backs gone again!:(
    Tomorrow I need to get another foot or two down...

I should have hired a mini-digger, but I'm trying to keep costs down.

It's finally the beginning of the extension, so the missus is a very happy bunny. :)

CGN likes this.
  7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Good on you Joe. You have a family...I have it easy really.

Just playing up for the cameras :oops: :D

Joe95 likes this.
  8. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

We've all got jobs to do, some bigger than others. Everything from putting up a picture to building a new kitchen for me.

I'll be going call out and small jobs only for two months soon, so I can finally get on with it. Going to start a thread here, full side and rear extension - and put this multi-trade rubbish to bed.

Got all the odd jobs to do at the moment, clearing the garage, removing all the paving, clearing the cellar - All the boring jobs.

CGN likes this.
  9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I'm sure it'll be a good thread Joe. Love this place for the learning :)

10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I'm going to be doing a lot of learning!

I'm most worried about the RSJ, going to be supporting the whole back corner of the house, and first time I've done one myself.

CGN likes this.
  11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Always get one more acro / strongboy than you think you need ...... Inevitably you will put one in an awkward place and need to move it

Joe95 likes this.
  12. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Did a solid engineered floor a few years back on a week off from work. Never realised how much it affects the legs and knees. When I went back to work, my legs were like bloody jelly and me knees were absolutely knacked.

Joe95 likes this.
  13. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

Why keep your money in the bedroom?

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Its on top of the mattress rather than under it :D

But like all finance, have to be careful with deposits and withdrawals ;)

CGN likes this.
  15. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Left the back garden today, and got on with relaying the driveway channel. It all went down fairly quickly. Luckily it doesn't have too look exceptional, as replacing the driveway will be a job for next year. 32mm MDPE pipe laid and connected now. The pressure is already better, going to test it this week.

Also managed to completely clear the cellar, next job is to replumb all of downstairs, and up the rad f&r to 22mm, also having some iron gas pipe removed (slight leak on one fitting:eek::eek:). Architect/SE will be in at some point to give all construction diagrams, with the foundations and RSJ spec.

Off for a nice hot bath now:).

CGN likes this.
  16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I'm off for a nice hot bath too, only because there is no silicon around the bath and no screen on, so I can't use the shower :D

Ended up having to scrape all the paint off the outside wall and ceiling above shower :mad: Anyway, done now so most of the messy jobs are out of the way. Just put a quick p**s thin coat of emulsion on to seal the bare plaster. No rest for the wicked! :D

Joe95 likes this.
  17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Back for Round 2! Just going to have a cup of tea...then I'll get started! :rolleyes:

18. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

Boring? I've now filled an 8 yrd skip and a 4 yrd skip with mostly soil which I've dug by hand, then unloaded by hand, which in effect means I've done it all twice! And this is all for me which means no pay! But it gets worse. Our bath has started leaking and coming through the kitchen ceiling, so I can't even have a bath yet. Both sympathy and money gifts welcome!!

CGN likes this.
  19. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I've done my digging for this week PGee. Been prepping a 90m2 patio base for a customer in and around lots of other jobs. Doing a small bathroom freshen up at home and I'm all full of excuses! Got to collect 2 small sofas now...a welcome distraction! :D

20. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

CGN and wiggy like this.