Bosch 5.5 kw oven

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by moz, Nov 8, 2010.

1. moz

moz Member

What sort of cable do I need to connect a 5.5kw built in oven, to the cooker connector? The supply is 6mm T&E, on it's own circuit from a 32amp MCB. Will immersion heater heatproof cable do?

2. fooman

fooman New Member

6mm cable ;)

3. moz

moz Member

What 6mm flexible heat resistant cable?

4. fooman

fooman New Member

6mm T&E will be fine :)

5. moz

moz Member

But (according to the Bosch installation instructions) it has to be flexible and heat resistant. Because the oven is slid into the housing unit, surely T&E would be too rigid?
    Can you get 6mm flexy. And I only want a metre or so, not a reel..

6. fooman

fooman New Member

6mm t&e will be fine once its in position.

7. moz

moz Member

Okay ta for that

8. larnacaman

larnacaman New Member

moz,

Yes 6mm butyl heat resistant cable is freely available, but it will cost about 5x that of 6mm T&E.
    Connecting cookers with standard 6mm T&E building cable, is standard practice. So no-worries, just make sure your connections are sound/Solid.....

9. fooman

fooman New Member

is that not what i have said twice ? :)

10. moz

moz Member

I don't mind paying a small premium for a couple of metres of flexy. Assuming people sell it like that. E.g. I can get 4mm flexy by the metre from a local diy.
    It seems a lot easier than possibly crushing/bending/chafing FTE around the back of the oven, and you wont be able to see what's going on as the oven is pushed into the housing unit. And FTE isn't heat resistant.

11. larnacaman

larnacaman New Member

The op asked a question about 6mm heat resistant flexible cable. Which wasn't answered!! ...Just a blanket reply saying use 6mm T&E twice...

Give the guy the choice, he may think that the extra expense is worth it, for his peace of mind by following M/Instructions....

12. larnacaman

larnacaman New Member

Moz,

If your going the flexi route, then use butyl cable, and preferably using crimped terminations at the cooker connection point.... And preferably 6mm rather than the 4mm...

13. Yours truly

Yours truly New Member

Moz: 2 things:

1) Fooman told you what to do.

2) Why read the MI's, but still come on here asking, and then challenge the advice you are given?

14. moz

moz Member

Discovered on a different forum. H05 VV-F cable or equivalent.
    4mm cable over

15. moz

moz Member

Discovered on a different forum. H05 VV-F cable or equivalent.
    4mm cable over

16. moz

moz Member

Because the mi's were not very clear

17. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Fooman's suggestion of bog-standard 6mm T&E cable is more than adequate for this application. But then, so would 2.5mm butyl flex serve just as well for the final connection to the oven.

There's no imperative for the final connection size to match that of the fixed wiring size. The main consideration is short-circuit protection (since an oven can't be overloaded beyond its maximum rating).

The issue of 'heat-resistance' is no longer relevant for a modern oven terminal housing because they're better insulated than older appliances.

Flexible cables and cords are used where there's constant or frequent movement of the appliance. This is seldom the case with an oven.

Some manufacturers fit a length of pre-wired flex to appliances of around 5kW. This flex rarely exceeds 1.5mm size.

Some people worry too much.

Lucia.

18. larnacaman

larnacaman New Member

If an oven is supplied pre-wired with it's own flexible cable fine, it doesn't matter what size the supplied cable may be, 2.5mm or 1.5mm that's what you use.

...But where a site supplied cable is required, it is always better to match the the fixed wiring size. As the oven can always be replaced with a free-standing cooker at a later date. An existing 2.5mm butyl flex, would then not be of adequate rating.

How many times have we seen an undersized cable supplying cookers?? ...Too many times, would be the correct answer, and mainly because an oven has been replaced by a free-standing cooker....

So yes, ...i guess i worry too much, as those lay home owners DIY'ers etc, wouldn't know any different!!!

19. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Let's worry about one oven at a time shall we Larnaca?

Or one oven each: I'll worry about the current oven and you can worry about its subsequent replacment - if you live that long to see it......

Lucia.

20. larnacaman

larnacaman New Member

Lucia,

Being sarcastic doesn't cut it!!!

Site provided cooker point connections has been the standard 6mm T&E for as far back as i remember, ...and for good reason!!!