Boss taken money off me

Discussion in 'Job Talk' started by bm142, Jul 18, 2017.

1. bm142

bm142 New Member

Recently handed notice in and my boss has deducted 2 weeks wages.

I can't be fussed with trying to get it back, reckon i could just go to a merchants and book £X amount of items out to cover the cost that he took?

What would the repercussions be? is this illegal?

Thanks lads

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Yes, it's stealing, obtaining goods by deception,about up to 5 years porridge if it still an offence,several other offences as well like Fraud by False Representation.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  3. bm142

bm142 New Member

what would you do to sort this out? he's a bit of a D**k so trying to just ask for it wont happen

4. Jackoftrades

Jackoftrades Well-Known Member

Why has he deducted the 2 weeks wages?

If you are not bothering to fight it, it sounds like there is a reason.

But as Kiab says, you are entering very dangerous grounds if you obtain goods in lieu.

Better to fight for the money, atleast get a reason in writing.

KIAB likes this.
  5. bm142

bm142 New Member

i currently am still employed till the end of next week. He has paid my sick days as holidays without my consent and when questioned why he replied "it's out policy" i've checked my contract and nothing is mentioned except i dont get sick pay. I didn't agree to this at the start of my employment and has never happened in the past.

6. BM, either wot he did was legit or else it wasn't.

If it was, then walk away and behave yourself.

If it wasn't, then get advice from CAB and go back and tell him face-to-face what you are going to do.

The repercussions of a boss breaking employment law is severe. He will NOT want to go there.

So, was what he did legit or not? That will decide what you do.

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Think you need to have a chat with CAB, rules might have changed, but once your employer couldn't pay sick days as holidays, but you the employee can ask to take their paid holiday for the time they’re off work sick.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  8. bm142

bm142 New Member

True, all i know is i never agreed to have my holidays taken off me to compensate sick days. Now i've handed my notice in he said i can either do an additional 2 weeks to cover what i owe him or he deducts 2 weeks wages from me.
    Guess it's time to speak to CAB

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  9. Jackoftrades

I dont know the details but just a thought.

How much sick time have you taken? You say you dont get sick pay, but he has used your holidays as a way of paying you for the time you took off?

This sounds really complex and without more detail nobody can advise. But you ought to seek some advice, before you leave!

KIAB likes this.
  10. bm142

bm142 New Member

I have earned 12.5 holidays so far, i have used 11 as holidays which i gave written consent like i have to.

I have had 3-4 days off at a time here and there ( up to total of 11 days ) for tooth extractions and general illness. These were sick days and i didnt say or give written consent to use my holidays to cover the my paycheck.

Now i'm over the holidays which i've earned.

11. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

You have the employment tribunal, were you can bring a case for unfair deductions from your pay, CAB can advise on that step.

Been a lot of changes with employment law over the last few years.

12. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Can self certifcate your self for 7 days at a time.

13. bm142

bm142 New Member

what does this mean?

14. Jackoftrades

It sounds to me like you got paid for sick time, because of him using holiday to cover it? But if you have not earnt that time, and have been sick and would not get paid for it, then it just sounds like its a case if how it has been presented.

Do you know the full reason/explanation? Take it to Cab or your union for advice if you understand but are not sure if it is right, or correctly calculated.

But put another way. Do you owe him sickpay, if he was to give you your holiday pay back ?

15. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

16. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

What is/was the job?

17. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

If you're not entitled to sick days and he has paid you holiday to cover your sick days, how has he taken any money from you?
    Sorry I don't get it. It sounds like you already got paid the money.

18. bm142

bm142 New Member

you must give consent for them to take holidays

19. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

But you got paid.
    What is it you don't like if you've been paid???

20. bm142

bm142 New Member

that i now owe him money