box difference ??

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Coolgit, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Coolgit

Coolgit New Member

What the difference between 2G 32MM PATTRESS SQUARE CORNER SOCKET BOX BS5733 (11805) and 2G 29MM MOULDED BOX (43690) apart from the price ??

cheers

2. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

3mm.

And probably some quality too, as the 2nd one is made by Crabtree, and the first one isn't.

Why does it matter to you?

3. handyman.

handyman. New Member

The thickness of the walls (of the box). The more expensive one will take much more abuse. Depends where your going to put the box. If its going to get hit by a hoover then get the good un!

I had the cheap one crack when I over tightened the screws (by a ba hair)

4. handyman.

handyman. New Member

I would think it matters, BAS, because if your going to get 20 odd to do your house their would be ££ difference that could be spent in the pub ;)

5. Coolgit

Coolgit New Member

just curious.

I did buy some 13 amp DG switch socket from screwfix and when i put a plug in and out the socket broke to 5 pieces. Starting to think why it so cheap quality issue need to be discussed.

cheers

6. lastword

lastword New Member

Always use the same make 'white' pattress as the fitting. Otherwise you'll see there's more than one definition of 'white'.

Another little detail that separates pro's from diy ;)

7. Milton Bradley

Milton Bradley New Member

Buy CRABTREE fittings and boxes, they are built tough, and will save complaints later on...

8. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

I did buy some 13 amp DG switch socket from screwfix and when i put a plug in and out the socket broke to 5 pieces. Starting to think why it so cheap quality issue need to be discussed.

There you are then - you <u>do</u> know what the difference is between an unbranded box at 66p and one from a reputable manufacturer at £1.25...

9. andyboy

andyboy New Member

i bought the select range DBL sockets and they cracked and the shutters on the sockets jammed all the time.