Boxing in pipes next to a bath/shower

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Phillip Parkinson, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Phillip Parkinson

Phillip Parkinson New Member

The age old question of what material to use, Moisture resistance MDF, something melamine covered, aqua board ? There is a shower over the bath with a shower curtain.

The vanity unit its going next to is gloss white but not bothered about finish match more about not swelling and having to redo it.

Have already googled it to death with various results.

2. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

mdf fully painted on all sides/edges with 2 coats of u/coat and top coat should do you fine

3. CosD

CosD Active Member

Apologies but I'm gonna disagree. Why would you use probably the most absorbent wood (if you could call it that) and try to protect it? The slightest water ingress and it will swell.

I would use ply wood at the very least but would prefer marine ply if budget allows; You would still need to put protective finish on it.

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

There are UPVC boards you can get which look alright in some bathrooms. They're not overly expensive. Try Eurocell or somewhere similar.

5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

As @WillyEckerslike says, you could create your pipe box out of uPVC facia board, and that would last you forever given that it won't ever see direct sunlight. You could drench it all day every day and it would still be fine in 20 years time. Frankly it wouldn't be my choice of a finish for a bathroom, but then I'm a bit of a traditionalist and I box my pipes in and then tile and grout the boxes.

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

That's why I said 'some' bathrooms. I prefer tiled boxing.

7. Phillip Parkinson

Phillip Parkinson New Member

Will go that route I think, then I don't have to worrying about sealing it etc.

I would of rather it be tiled but it wasn't possible in this case.

Thanks for all the replies