brain dead spam rubbish

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by surfermick, Apr 18, 2013.

1. surfermick

surfermick New Member

cant it be stopped somehow. its getting as though i cant pop on here in the morning for a peruse before work.

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Totally agree Mick. Apparently, these spammers attack a site for a few days/weeks, then see their posts deleted and move on to other forums to continue.  You can always use the "Report Abuse" tab in the actions section on the right. A drop down menu gives you the option to report as spam. ;)

Edit, just as I posted, the spam seems to have disappeared. Mind you it's just gone 8.00am so I assume SF mods have logged in and started removing them. ;)

3. screwfix.peter

screwfix.peter Administrator Staff Member

Hi Mick

We are trying our best to keep the Screwfix Community clear of these spam postings. We have put in filters to help prevent these postings. Please ignore these postings as we take action to remove and prevent these.

Peter

4. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Yeah, i logged in this morning and noticed it was littered with stuff! I used to run a VB forum years back and know it can be hard work trying to keep these maggots away!

5. surfermick

surfermick New Member

thats cool, i recognise the fact that a lot of work goes into these forums, i appreciate the forum being here. i just dont have a vast knoweledge of hw they work, hense my question. im happy with the answers.  thanks John, i will give that a go.:)

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Yep  I think most forums ban spam posters, then ban IP addresses, but the spammers are always one step ahead. They create new accounts, using different email addy's then use different servers, to get round the IP address ban.

7. surfermick

surfermick New Member

lovely on here this morning, many thanks for sorting those pesky spam fiends off admin

8. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

yeah its suprising the amount of hassle they go to do this cr@p. Most forum software provide methods to cut it down/prevent it but its aimed towards automated things - if a human is prepared to sit down, create an account and do whatever thats when its hard