Brake pads and discs - dealer prices

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by goldwise, Jul 7, 2021.

1. exbg

exbg Active Member

Why are you so shy about naming the car? £85 + vat sounds around a mainstream car marque. I was paying Jaguar a touch more than that over 10 years ago. How can you expect anyone to comment when you wont provide a basic detail?

2. Jim Kirk

Jim Kirk New Member

Yes they are all at it now. My daughter has a MOT and Service plan for her 2014 ecosport. This year it passed the MOT - no recommendations, but service report said new front discs, pads and new rear road springs required due to rust. £3000.

I used to do all our servicing and repairs when I had a pit in my garage.

I dont have the garage now, but I still have all the tools- I bought the branded parts from Motor factors at £92 and laid in the ground in the pouring rain to replace them but not requred at all - pads were not even halfway and the springs only had surface rust - original paint on most of them.

Not what I expected for a 67 yar old retiree.

I'm now building a garage with a pit at my current house.

Happy retirement!

quasar9 and BiancoTheGiraffe like this.
  3. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I assume that’s fitted? Parts are about £850 for Brembos

4. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

probably better to find someone else to service and MOT then

5. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Insane... That's a BMW dealer I assume, bet it's half the price from an independent place.

When I was looking at new cars I was contemplating Audi A4 and VW Passat. I checked out some servicing costs and found that a main dealer charged twice as much to do a cambelt at Audi than VW. They have practically identical engines!

6. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Bought a used S-max bus a few months ago and reading through all the service record receipts shows it has had 3 lots of disc's and pads replaced in the past six years.
    All over the span of about 45000 miles :eek:.
    Thats some serious fear mongering going on by the garage.

7. BiancoTheGiraffe

Wow! That's disgusting...

Still on the original fronts on my Passat after 70k!

8. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

In 30 years of motoring I've carried out my own car maintenance.
    While of course there are some first class mechanics, I've rarely seen a diligent main dealer repair.
    £300 for an oil change and some basic checks? No thanks.

9. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Yep, the retired couple i purchased it from had obviously been fleece by a garage they trusted.

Back in the day I had a cavalier CDI that went through pads like no tomorrow, but the discs lasted a good 80k even though they were glowing red hot on many occasions due to enthusiastic driving :).

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  10. AnotherTopJob

Heard a true story about Kwik-fit some years ago. While the customer was having a tyre replaced, they advised the rear shocks needed replacing.
    Are they guaranteed? He asked.
    Of course, they replied.
    OK, great, please replace them he confirmed.
    After they had been fitted, he was presented with the bill.
    I'm not paying, he laughed and showed them a receipt. The same branch had replaced them just a few months ago!

Baxi Boy, quasar9, CGN and 2 others like this.
  11. Jim Kirk

Jim Kirk New Member

Absolutely - but still another year to go on MOT and Service plan

12. BiancoTheGiraffe

So you've got an MOT/service plan, but it doesn't pay for anything?!

Why not just take the car elsewhere for things the plan doesn't cover?

13. JOMEL

JOMEL Active Member

Good Evening.
    I have a Toyota Camry I purchased new Sept 1995 yes 95.
    First pads lasted Circa 50/60K miles I changed them myself but Toyota ones. I went to main dealer for pads at circa 100k
    They had a deal on (lol) Pads for back and front + Discs for back and front £200.
    I snapped them up.
    My local garage fitted the lot for £80.
    This was about 3 years ago.
    One of the mechs asked me if I would let him have the old discs as there was nothing wrong with them

I still happy with it at 127k

Johnny M

CGN and BiancoTheGiraffe like this.
  14. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

To be fair to some garages. Lack of use let’s the discs rust up and pit which is probably worse for them than a lot of use.

15. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

So much useful information here. Many thanks!

Sounds likely they were looking for extra work to make up for the devastating year they had. As far as the mot was concerned, the brakes weren't a problem and that point is important.

They were fine about me declining the work and just said to have them looked at again in 6 months or so.

My concern is that next year they say it must be done or will fail the mot. If I take it elsewhere for a brake check they'll probably find a problem as they'll know I'm already concerned enough to book in.

Aside, I haven't noticed any brake performance problems. It's done about 45k miles, half motorway, half urban. I don't think I'm heavy on the brakes and I've never had a similar issue with any previous cars, even the same make and model.

I reckon I'll shelve it for now and deal with it next year if they raise it again. If I got it done now, they could well find something else next year. But if I think they're not playing fair, I'll be taking my custom elsewhere after next year when the service plan ends.

16. AnotherTopJob

The MOT would only pick up on brakes being ineffective, normally they work fine right until the pads are down to the metal.
    If they're able to see the brake pads are almost out, they will probably advise.

17. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I've been using a local independent garage for years, decades actually. I know and trust the chap who runs the place and they're far far cheaper than other garages yet alone main dealers.

These kinds of places are like hens teeth these days, if you find one, treasure it.

18. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Spot on Hans: been using mine for 20 years. They are stars.

Hans_25 likes this.
  19. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

We have been using the same local garage since we moved here 8 years ago. They are great guys and couldn't be more helpful. They pick the car up from the house on their way into work and drop it off again on their way home when its done. If we aren't in the keys and bill get pushed through the letter box marked pay when you are ready. Labour charge is £45 per hour but they don't charge for collection or delivery.

20. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

It’s a wonder how that company survives ! Years ago when I had company cars, I bought in a Toyota for two tyres. It had plastic wheel covers that looked like alloys, but it fooled no one as you could clearly the steel rims beneath. The fitter than proceeded unscrew the fake studs, I stopped him in time just before he wrecked it with his air wrench. What are you doing I asked. He looks up with a face that suggested a mix of pity and disgust and said “ sir, one has to remove the wheel nuts, then remove the wheel before one can remove the tyre” I pointed out the steel wheel lurking underneath, you should have seen the look on his face !

on another occasion, the fitter was explaining to two ladies, how high performance tyres may have prevented their predicament of flat tyre. Also he says, better to replace the pair. How much, they ask. He say about 70 each (this is going back to late 90). Me thinking they must be driving a Porsche or something like that looked out towards the garage! Up on the ramp is a Nissan Almera :D