Breathable Membrane

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Shedmen, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

Roofing membrane the breathable type - have a small lean to roof extension at home there seems to be a bewildering array of breathable roofing membranes - Any recommendations - performance? price? ease of installation?

Thanks

Shedmen

2. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Can't go wrong with tyvek, having said that i have used the screwfix one and its been fine.

They are a doddle to work with - they don't rip so don't need as careful handling as traditional felt.

Price - not cheap!

3. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

Thanks had two replies mentioning Tyvek - Any thoughts on the Tyvek sealed method with no ventilation under the tile?

Shedmen

4. mudhut

mudhut New Member

tyvec give you most options - tyvec supro or supro plus.

venting the top of a lean-to roof is usually unsightly, a dry ridge on an apex roof is a good solution, and eaves level vents are a doddle. however in your situation i would reccomend the tyvec, and eaves vents at your discretion.

there actually is under tile/slate ventillation through the cracks and gaps in the covering which will help to disperse vapour, this is recognised by the manufacturers, and together with a vapour sealed ceiling and breathable underlay roof space ventillation can be dispensed with completely (in most domestic situations with suitable felt).

please note vp400 (sfd) requires eaves vents as a minimum, even though it performs as well as tyvec supro in all measurable ways.

5. gangman

gangman New Member

I've seen condensation in a few roofs fitted with breathable felt, it might not be as good as it's claimed, so I always put in ventilation to the roof space.

It's nice to work with but I wouldn't rely on it working with out any other ventilation.

6. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

The BCO on the last job i used Tyvek on said that vents made the condensation problem worse!

7. gangman

gangman New Member

What's the BCO saying, if you have condensation with tyvek and no vents, adding vents will cause more condensation.

If he thinks that then he should insist that tyvek is not used, as you can get condensation when using it. Airflow is the accepted way of keeping the roof space dry but if tyvek is causing condensation with that airflow then it should not be used.

Then again BCOs do sometimes come out with stupid comments, I've had one tell me arches are not structural.

8. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Yep - thats basically what he was saying. In fact he has a point. A breathable fabric works on the different pressures of water vapour. Thats why they don't allow water vapour in - there will always be more pressure inside than out - your goretex jacket works the same way