BRegs and RulesRUsLand

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Charlie Far!ey, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

I had many many sleepless nights troughing through stupid BRegs and many were valid but a lot more were nonsensical and forever being changed - In the US where I live specifically You draw the plans and $6 over the counter at City Hall gets the permit. The footings depths are verbally agreed and you build. No more payments, dead head inspectors, permits bar gas service connection which is $4.50.

The Building Codes are somewhere in the City Library and the whole situation is far less pedatic than yours and no-one ever gives you grief.

There is no official blackcoats - No stupid shitehawks waiting to swoop and it is so so simple to build and make a few $$$$'s at the same time. A house from start to end takes 35 days to build and put on the market. One failure could cost you your reputation and living so you build better than the next guy - Its called giving the buyers what they want.

I never want to be involved with British building ever again and with the US coming out of the sub-prime it is time for the builders once again and land is as cheap as chips ....literally.

I bought 40.5 acres sw of Alberquerque NM for $1600 yes $1600 (thats 800 pounds) and it costs $25k per unit to build a unit - Work out the maths yourself.

2. ­

­ New Member

Me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me,

ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Fortunately I'm wealthy enough not to have to run away to 'cheap as chips' environments.

How sad that you're so poor you had to do this.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

again

So what are you doing on here, numbskull ?

Stay where you are, and advise those who believe your sh|te.

No-one does here, in British building land.

You are about as credible as Jordan's tiits(although you probably have the same IQ as them).

Mr. Handyandy - really

4. ­

­ New Member

:^O

5. Fanny mcSquirter

Fanny mcSquirter New Member

Handy - don't feed the Troll. He will go away eventually.

6. The Brickie

The Brickie New Member

Wheres the Deacon when you need him or are we all gunning for Charley now

7. Charlie Far!ey

Hey *

Its about the best its gonna get for you - Take the advice of ........ 'Fanny McSquirter' - Not the first time you've followed the advice of a .....

Did the dogfood and string tip work out for you Buddy? At least he can summon you inside to play 'doggies' without venturing out in the rain huh? Woof! Woof!

[Edited by: admin6]

8. Charlie Far!ey

I've realised your on top of your master - I bet thats not the first time either

:O

9. Charlie Far!ey

Hey *
    I know you are academically challenged so I will clarify for you.

"Mr.

Re: BRegs and RulesRUsLand
    Posted: Jan 13, 2008 8:53 PM

again

So what are you doing on here, numbskull ? "

Lets start here - "I never want to be involved with British building ever again..."

Thats what Im doing here - Has the fog cleared yet?

Pointing out the wannabe builders here is like pointing at the fleas in your underpants - Its littered with them. So I rest my case

You would not know the real meaning of 'building' if you had two lifetimes to research it so shut up when it comes to the technical stuff huh and get back under the van.

Ive seen the tip where you live...(d) and I am not all that impressed nor were the council from all accounts.

10. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Chas,
    (1) "You're" NOT "your" = "you are" purrrrlease.
    (2) Wasn't it only a few weeks ago you were telling us how complicated all the building regs and contractor registration schemes/tests were in the states and how it was all coming over here? Make up <u>your</u> mind son.

11. yan1

yan1 New Member

Having lived in the U.S before I can see where charlie's coming from. BUT, the view of being profitable and straightforward with planning etc is a very blinkered one.
    I lived in one of the Tri-county areas surrounding NYC. The property I lived and worked on was 44 acres and was valued at $10.5 million. The next door neighbours gaff is currently on the market for very similar.
    Planning rights and building type regs were as strict if not stricter than U.K, ( unless you through a few hundred grand at the town clerk)! Materials, labour and costs were sky high but relative to the financial levels of the locals.
    The only way of it being profitable to construction workers was to live outside of this area, i.e north of these counties in country * land.
    The further away from the rich prosperous metropolitan areas you went the more like charlie's description it was...............
    ......Mmmmmmm, sounds kind of like here then???

12. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Now, now - there's now't wrong with a trailer park.

13. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

(Mind you, they've probably seen the value drop since Charles moved in :()

14. Charlie Far!ey

Hey Grimybuztud

Contractors regulations are complicated so is rocket technology but what does that have to do with building?

I am a registered contractor and it WAS complicated and professional help got me through it and now they deal with those issues I build and I build a lot without the hinderance of legal issues they dont actually build them for me nor source and buy land to do it on.

Sadly, life is complicated and you have to do things for yourself - Your Mum isnt always there to do it for you - You'll find that out when you have to go out on your own - Its can be a tough world out there when your Mum isnt there to wash your sh1tty pants for you.

:(

15. Charlie Far!ey

van1

You're right in expensive real estate in NY state and the closer to NYC you get the price goes up exponentially - An apartment in NYC can cost $15m but it rapidly reduces as you back out as in Buffalo it is cheaper and Niagara and further south toward PA is again cheaper but it is proportional but there are some cities that got hit real hard and the US SW was one such area.

In Los Angeles I recently co-bought a house for less than $200k where it was last sold for $1.3M it is like that here - The sub prime done that - But it is climbing out steadily now. It was out of control, now I am here cleaning up and loving every minute of it.

I may end up broke and disheartened but I will never go backward to Britain - Its far too fertile a land to even consider. I have a reasonable plot and grow stuff there as well which again cost a pittance. The same in Britain would be impossible for less than 10M pounds - I didnt pay anything close to that.

The people speak english and are polite and decent. I found that a hard accolade to paste on even a few individuals in pretentious Britain.

I vowed I would leave and left I did and do not regret a single second - I had to come back to satisfy my visa requirements and I stayed in a hotel at the airport and caught the next plane back - Thats how much I adore it here

16. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

"and professional help got me through it"
    This is what psychologists call 'assimilation', essentially where a bean of truth leaks out of the patient's delusional fantasy, only, did you get through 'it'?

Anyway, got another investment op. for you Chas:
    http://media.ejbdotcom.net/content21/4sail.jpg

17. yan1

yan1 New Member

Much to the amazement of others I'm sure, I actually agree whole heartedly with you on this thread. As I said, I lived in the U.S, only for 2 years, but this was long enough to experience "life" and everything that goes with it in the country.
    I came back due to personal circs in the UK, but if I can make the it happen again in the future, I will be back there. The grass really is greener on that side of the pond. No-one can say any different if they have experienced life in America for a reasonable amount of time. Yes you have to be ambitious, but compared to U.K, if you are ambitious, you get respect, help and most importantly help. From everyone. Far from the uphill battle in this hole.
    See you soon Charles.

18. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

CharleyFarley,

What are you actually going on about?

You say we are wannabe builders but I find that a little rich coming from someone who hails from a country that only knows timber frame housing and at best has been building for 150 years or so.
    Take a look around, you may find some rather old structures here funnily enough.

19. Charlie Far!ey

Hey Mr Grimeybuztud

So youve been over to English Con Mans place I see.

http://media.ejbdotcom.net/content21/4sail.jpg

If you look hard you can just see Handshandys grimey nose underneath the van - Now do you believe me?

I see he's done up the grounds for the photo shoot as well - Impressive stuff huh?

20. Charlie Far!ey

and for Kantthink I have another for this slightly dimmed little bulb.

So England has only been building for 150 years huh? Well Stonehenge is dated around 4000BC so youre a little bit out and there are houses still being lived in that date back to the 1400's and further. So where do you get your 150 years from?

I 'now' live in the US but I am English and oddly enough the Internet spans borders and travels great distances until it falls of the edge of the sea - My watch does not say the same time as yours because .... of sourcery.

Oh dear the wheel turns but the hampster has long since departed this world huh?

Does your Mum know youre on the computer? You will be grounded if she finds out so switch it off and go back and watch Sesame Street.

:(