Brexit explained simply

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Hans_25, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Another bet you've lost.

Please stop just saying 'stuff', JJ. It is pathetic.

2. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

You are right - they can't afford to leave; they know the consequences. (Just imagine for a moment if they had.)

Nor can we. For exactly the same reason. And if you have your way, we won't need to imagine.

Please stop just saying 'stuff', JJ, er, IIR. It is pathetic.

3. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Stuff. :D:D

Heat and PhilSo like this.
  4. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

The Greece situation is completely different to ours the reason Greece is bankrupt is because it spends more money than any other European country on the defence of it's borders being a European member state helps give it some degree of security from a Turkish invasion. This is information straight from the horses mouth .

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Did I support leaving or staying, I don't believe that my post touched on the rights and wrongs of remain or go. Why thank me for prolonging austerity.

6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Cameron was completely taken by surprise by the leave vote, he was the Prime Minister at the time and for someone in that great position not to have thought through the consequences of allowing a vote, is the action of an idiot, or someone with a deep failure to understand the responsibility of the position he holds. Blair lulled us all into a false paradise allowing the money markets to run freely, but as you state, the Conservative group have had a very long time to sort it out and do not seem to be anywhere near to a solution.

Jord86 likes this.
  7. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

Also the Euro helped Greece's economic decline, because Greece was effectively prevented from trading its way out of trouble, I'll give Gordon Brown full credit for keeping us away from that experiment. Common currency only makes strong economies stronger and weak economies weaker.

8. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

I didn't mean you Bob, I was referring to the DA (sorry, Allsorts) post where, true to form, he/she brought Brexit into the conversation.

9. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

My apologies, Bob, and I've no idea how you voted.

I was going by "What, austerity is coming to an end? which planet do you live on? we are as poor now as we were at the start of the process, no progress has been made whatsoever. We must leave the EU, fudging it now will make us appear weak in the eyes of our European partners..."

Precisely, austerity is not coming to an end after a decade for a solid reason; the Brexit vote has nobbled the UK economy by a circa-2% additional growth. Had the vote not gorn that way, we'd have been much closer to clearing our debts by now, and possibly be virtually 'there'.

So, the very threat of a Brexit has done this, and your solution - 'scuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor - is now to leave 'Hard'. Good grief. That is idiotic.

Except, that it isn't idiotic, it's ideologic.Isn't it?

I have just worked out which way you almost certainly did vote... :rolleyes:

10. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Greek is in the deep poo because it spends more money on its borders?!

I have never ever heard that one before. I thought it was due to overinflated wages for virtually non-existent jobs, cronyism, corruption, tax avoidance and stuff like that.

Your idea is much much simpler. Please provide a source of this info.

11. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Being in the Euro certainly has had its pros and cons, Harry - fair enough.

But to try and blame it for Greece's woes is just, well, a porkie.

12. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Yes, and not just Cameron.

It was indeed a gamble, and one that Cameron thought worth taking to shut up the Europhobes. He thought it certain the vote would be Remain, ergo no plan for the opposite.

Ditto Johnson and - well - everyone else.

When you look back, it is incredible how such lies and glibbisms - £350m per week, 80 million Turks arriving etc - was given anything other than contempt.

But, no - many Brits are not very clever. Or worse.

13. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

That last part wasn't Cameron's fault 'cos there simply is no plan to Leave. Never has been. There ain't now. There is no good plan. There is nothing that'll be better than what we currently have. All the plans to Leave are just various levels of idiocy and carnage.

14. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

How much.
    Excuse my scepticism.
    But I find that hard to believe.

PhilSo

15. Crowsfoot

It is 100% true fact, we don't get to hear about it though because we like the other explanation of lazy Greeks better!

16. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

I've never considered the Greek people to be lazy.
    I just wondered where you found these figures.
    PhilSo

17. Crowsfoot

Greece joined the European union before it was financially ready to do so and adopted the euro currency as well, you see it valued protection of it's borders more than the financial consequences of an early entry.

18. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

For gawd's sakes, Crows, don't make me side with Phil :(

I think the causes of Greece's financial problems are well understood, and it would only have been a matter of time before reality had hit them. The CC of 2008 did that sooner than they expected, big style.

19. Crowsfoot

Source of my information is a Greek tour guide in Corfu so if anyone should know about Greece's financial problems it's the Greeks themselves you won't find anything on the net to disprove what I'm telling you because it's 100% true.

Jord86 likes this.
  20. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Ooooh kaaaay.

He'd be a Grexit voter then...