Brexit. What are the benefits?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by chippie244, Mar 18, 2018.

1. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

To some degree we will. We helped bail out the euro (currency) last time round despite not being part of it, we shouldn't have, we didn't need to, but a bankrupt Europe doesn't help our own cause.
    We've not seen the last of 'euro problems', they will rear their head again and I suspect, it will be in our own interest to offer some sort of assistance.

2. Broon

Broon Active Member

Wow the difference in this thread compared to mine. I was trying to catch up on what was happening and just gave up. It became a duck measuring competition again.

Well done Chips, Well Done

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

So,, following on from this statement, if the US dollar got into trouble, we’d help out too? If the Japanese yen started failing, we’d again help out? If whatever currency China uses, fails we’d help out ? Sorry filly, once we’re out of the EU, if the euro fails, then I can’t see that the UK should help out , apart from perhaps sending some Fortnum and Masons hampers to Brussels. ;);)

4. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

China at one point was propping up half the world by buying govt bonds, they weren't giving away money as they earn a profit on interest. If the IMF bail a country out, chances are some of that money would have come from the uk.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Thank you broon.
    jj, you haven't got the hang of this yet.
    This is a post to say the benefits of brexit not the negatives of something else.
    What do you think will be the benefits of brexit in your own words?

6. facilities

facilities Guest

Don’t get carried away Broon, this thread so far has been far too civilised and too much niceness going on, and am not convinced that will help resolve anything

For starters Chips thread title “Brexit. What are the benefits?” From the start that may have been a question for both camps that I am quite sure the remoaners will struggle to answer and wouldn’t name any if they could, so we can assume it’s aimed at the leavers, confirmed by this quote from Chips “this to be a post for the leavers to express their point of view because I don't have a clue what they want and believe.”

So when the leavers posts are in we then start another thread to challenge those views? Am I right or wrong? so we are then back to square one and a zillion posts and name calling

So I believe this thread Chips you should have made it clear from the outset that this thread is open to only leavers

I will say that b2 makes some semblance of taking a reasonable stance (for a remainer) but the likes of DA and his posts well they are just an opportunity for him to show off with his coded utterances that I am sure Alan Turing would struggle with, as we all know he is rather fond of his own voice

Broon, your thread “How We can Make Brexit Work?” Is a much more legitimate question but I am afraid was doomed from the start, as the remoaners have absolutely no interest in this kind of debate other than to continue their bitter objections as to how the vote went and have no intentions of coming up with anything of consequence, as a remainer this was what you came to realise in your own thread. “I find it strange that those who seem open to working together are those on the leave side where the remainers just down cry them and say how bad things are going to be after brexit.”

So Broon this thread will be meaningless as the Remoaners will be chomping at the bit to shout down any true benifit of Brexit, I much prefer the sentiment of your thread “How We can Make Brexit Work?”

7. joinerjohn1

Erm, I was replying to filly’s post. These threads have a tendency to be very fluid.
    I’m sure someone has replied to a point on this thread without being reminded that we’re only supposed to mention positives of Brexit. ( you can use your reply as an example if you want)

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

This was a genuine question, I can't see any benefits from brexit so struggle to see the leavers point of view which ends in both sides shouting abuse at each other.
    It is hard to answer a question of how can we make brexit work if you think it is a really stupid idea and the only answer is "Don't do it"
    This is an attempt to see both sides without throwing insults around.
    I have no idea how the thread will end much as we have no idea how brexit will end.
    The only sure thing is it won't be what the politicians on both sides told us it would be and it won't be what any of us wanted.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

But you haven't mentioned what you want from brexit at all, I'm keeping DA in line so if you could keep with the program that would be very helpful.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

One positive from brexit I was hoping for was a change in the fishing quotas system but that's been put on the back boiler for now.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Is it the blue wire or the red wire?

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  12. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Do you care to elaborate on why you hoped for that?

Fishing is a tiny part of our gdp. I’ve never really understood why such a small part of our economy has such a powerful political lobby. It’s not like anybody is talking about how homeopaths and alternative medicine will be effected by Brexit (& unfortunately I suspect it’s actually a larger part of our economy than fishing).

Are you interested in fishing as a heritage thing? Sustainability?

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I have always thought the reason why fishing has such a resonance is that its the only way that a limited island can expand its reach and its "footprint" without going to war.

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It was nothing to do with gdp, I was trying to think of something positive about brexit and less competition for british fishermen was all I could think of.
    All I know about homeopathic medicine is that it's bs and if by alternative medicine you mean the cannabis oil my mate has to shove up his ring piece to shrink his brain tumour then I'm all for it but I have no idea how brexit will affect it.
    Please fill in the gaps in my knowledge.

15. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

I picked alternative medicine as something non-political.

I’m enjoying the civilised discussion you’re nurturing. If I’d compared fishing with financial services (for example)- it’d look like I was point scoring. We’d then get drawn into back and forth sniping about bankers (so please, everyone, pretend I didn’t say it).

Whereas, chakras and magic water seemed like something nobody was going to excited about.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The thread is turning out better than I had thought it would, obviously there is some mistrust but that is only to be expected.
    How are the negotiations on the financial services passport going? The politicos don't seem to mention it but there is a lot of money at stake there.

17. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Let’s not blow it now and open up your discussion to more contentious issues. Let’s take a sad song and make it better.

Brexit might give us some breathing room to re-balance our economy. Traditional wisdom in the UK has become that services are the natural evolution for post-industrial societies - yeah, right, try telling that to Germany! (recognising that most people here are in service industries - I’m not having a jab).

Less free trade could actually provide protection for small businesses and kick-start component manufacturing and finishing in the U.K.

The Germans have a name for their small, highly profitable small companies (hidden heroes? Something like that). Brexit might give us the kick in backside to innovate in physical things instead of mere mathematical financial abstractions.

18. joinerjohn1

No matter what I believe the positives of Brexit to be, I just know the shouts and cat calls of “ racist, bigot etc” are going to be even louder ( specially from one in particular)
    Anyway here goes.
    Trade,, The EU has held back not only the UK, but every other member state from deals with emerging markets. Certain countries need certain things from other countries. A trade deal with Pakistan, might be of use to the Netherlands, but might not be much use to Greece or Italy. A trade deal with China, might be of use to Germany, but of a lesser use to say Hungary or Poland.
    The EU has some pretty protectionist stuff going on. Trump has said he’s increasing tariffs on aluminium and steel. Do some research and look at the EU tariffs on these same metals imported into the EU. EU tariffs on imported goods have kept imported goods overpriced. Outside the EU, our government can seek trade agreements with other countries as befits our own countries needs.

Immigration,,,, whilst members of the EU, we cannot effectively control our own border as every EU citizen has the right to come here seeking work. At least out of it, we can allow in only those people with the skill sets this country needs. Outside the EU, there will be no compunction to pay child benefit and family working tax credits to those with families back home in Eastern Europe. ( cue the cries of racist etc from the usual suspects)

This is but two of many reasons to leave the EU. You all know there are others, but I’m working night shift tonight. Will return with more reasons later on in the week.

19. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

We never truly joined, we would need to be a republic and have the same currency.
    Really we have been playing at being European for the last 40 years. A nice idea on holiday sipping the local cheap grappa.

we won't see a huge leap in any benefits. We will just be able to recognise more clearly that what we have is of our own making and management.

We won't quite leave either.

facilities likes this.
  20. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I don't usually comment on Brexit (other than to intervene before blood is spilled or to ask that a thread about nails doesn't descend into Brexit bickering) so well done Chips for getting a thread on the subject this far and still civilised.

I don't know what the positives are yet (voted remain) but as has been pointed out there will be some on the basis that 'there's always a bright side' if nothing else.
    I respect the result even if some of the claims made might have been misleading on the basis that neither side knew then (or does now) what will or won't, could or couldn't happen. The result reflected a 'feeling' or 'instinct' of more than half the electorate and there we have it.
    Therefore the onus must surely now be for us all to focus on the positives - and maximise them - and work out solutions for the negatives.
    I suppose the biggest positive that I have witnessed is that we have a populace finally engaging in politics on something that doesn't divide clearly down party lines. Individual MPs with opinions are being heard and listened to.
    There are challenging times ahead but potentially exciting ones as well and we absolutely must make the very best of the hand we have been dealt. We owe this to ourselves and our descendants.

btiw2, Jord86 and Isitreally like this.