BREXIT, Who Is Laughing Now?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by palavaman, Oct 18, 2016.

1. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

...although if Trump wins then our gilts could suddenly become very popular!

2. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

The main problem as I see it are bankers and money men,take the marmite incident,now Unilever decide rightly or wrongly that they want to increase their prices slightly.for all we know there may have been legitimate reasons,but Tesco immediately think about their profits and start screaming.Now be honest about this,everyone absorbs some price rises into their business,they have to.You can't alter your price every time diesel goes up by a penny or the price of a drum of cable shifts by 10p,no you absorb it up to a point,then when you arive at that point and only then do you increase your prices.The trouble is we've allowed certain people(and lets not forget that these same people are largely responsible for the state we're in) to have free reign and dictate to everyone
    when your shopping bill goes up by a fiver a week or your fuel bill rises slightly you can't go running to your boss and demand a pay rise,oh no you have to cut back on other things,spend less on a night out,have a cheaper holiday, make savings somewhere else in your budget.However these money people don't want to do that.Look at insurance companies,they have a good run for years,taking premiums without many large claims,then when we have a bad winter it's all "we're going to put up premiums" or "we won't insure you you're too risky".Well insurance is a gamble,if you don't want to bet then don't play!
    Banks did the same,when everything was rosy they and their shareholders lived the high life,enter a glitch in the market and they expect the government (us) to bail them out! Someone once said "absolute power corrupts absolutely" and they were right,we have people in government who have interests in the money game or who have money and these are the same people who are in charge of decision making involving money. Shall we increase the percentage of tax paid by high earners? which incidentally includes most of us,shall we increase the rate of inheritance tax paid on big mansions and large wills,again mostly owned by us,or shall we increase the taxes on the poorer members of society.these are questions that the upper echelons of society debate every day,be honest they aren't going to vote something in that will affect those who can most afford it,no they hit the little man every time,come on it's a bit like asking a turkey to vote for christmas! Why not put the little people in charge of these things? how about a national vote? Shall we close the tax loopholes and increase inheritance tax on high value bequests or shall we increase the retirement age and cut benefits for the sick,elderley and disabled? I know which way the common man would vote.

3. A cracking reply :).

It's astonishing that some twits are still claiming the our country ain't 'sovereign'! Glib nonsense.

We follow the EU rules and directives that we agreed beforehand we are happy and prepared to follow. They keep us all moving forwards and progressing in these chosen areas in a fair and positive way.

Britain was and is Sovereign. (Mind you, trying to prevent Parliament from considering the terms of Brexit might not be so...?)

Anyhoo, I'm off to take my dawgs for a walk on my local BLUE FLAG beach. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2016
  4. And I chust pointed out the irrelevance of your post - they are ALL right wing. As seemingly are you?

And for a Leaver to claim to be so 'considerate' as to make a post for the benefit of "ANYONE WHO BELIEVED MISLEADING INFORMATION!!!" is a new level of irony.

Rystar00 likes this.
  5. If you avoid mainstream media, where did you get this (I understand incorrect) information from?

6. Scott and a London-based hedge fund manager, sitting up a tree...

K-I-S-S-I-N-Gee

Well done you.

(Psssst - it's called 'Confirmation Bias'...)

7. Lol.

8. A more pertinent and honest question would be, "Why don't you regret yours?"

How can you remain so deluded?

You know that Brexit was driven by lies, peddled by scurrilous right-wing multi-millionaires. You know that the vast majority of 'Leave' voters hadn't the most basic grasp of what they were actually voting for. They really thought the EU was chust a 'club' that 'told Britain what to do' and cost '£350m per week for the privilege'. (Farage)

They thought no further than "Take back control!" But couldn't articulate what that meant in practice.

You know that Johnson is not as nice and honest as he looks.

You know that your 'leaders' - the guys you believed - are Fox, IDS, Banks, Farage, Gove, Davies etc.

And you still don't 'get' what's happened?!

You are still kidding yourself?

Keep the 'arguments' coming, Longs, the justifications, the examining of each article for things to assist - all of them red herrings.

It obviously helps you to not come to terms with what you've done to our country.

Be clear on one thing - I DO blame the likes of you for being so uncritical in your thinking. So blind. So ready to puff up your chest and pretend that the likes of you are the true Brits here, the true patriots.

You sooooo are not.

You are gullible fools.

And you have destroyed the soul of this country.

Lanc likes this.
  9. It's clear what you want to belive here, JJ - that more people are becoming as bigoted as you. 'Cos that gives you comfort.

"Read the papers and watch the news..." you say? I wish you would - and go a bit deeper. And not just wet yourself over unrepresentative cases. You know what that is called, don't you?

A growing number of Germans...etc. Yeah? Give us some bludy numbers, JJ - and not your sick wishful thinking.

If things are that bad - if the populations of these countries really feel like you, how come they are still very much in the minority?

We all know that Brexit was a single-issue decision for you, JJ. And sod the consequences.

Yuck.

10. Sturgeon is desperate to use this opportunity for a second ref on Scotland because she knows her (and the SNP's) time is very limited.

Scotland has essentially moved from Conservative (smallish 'c') to Labour (with a right-wing SNP opposition) to left-wing SNP in a few decades.

Their current days are numbered. And they know this.

11. I was actually pointing out that what Dobbs pointed out was pointless. That's all.

They are all right-wing, and impartiality is not in their genes. That's all.

Whether a particular proprietor was the correct one for that particular rag or not (fair do's - it was not) is a moot point.

12. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

There's some truth to this.
    Nothing fundamental has changed.
    It's not like there's been a hurricane or all the in sparkies in Britain have forgotten how to spark.

It's just about the warning signs.

The pound has moved significantly in a short period.
    The BoE has a quarter of trillion pounds it's using to steady the markets (£250 billion is approx 1000 weeks of gross EU contributions). Well done BoE, it seems to be working - but I suppose that much money should work.

1% inflation? Really? A whole 1%? Wowee! Yawn ...for now....
    Currently companies are buffered through currency hedging, existing stock, there's still uncertainty on what will happen and not everything we buy comes from overseas anyway.
    But six months ago a tenner in your pocket would buy approx $14 worth of overseas food, oil, clothes, powertools, computers, phones and now it's worth about $12.
    We're a bit poorer even though nothing has happened, but only a bit. Let's hope we're not a lot poorer after something actually happens.

It's like this. Imagine you were about to knock down a wall on a site, and every experienced builder and engineer started running for cover.
    You'd put down the sledge and perhaps have another look and re-think, right?
    The markets are running away from the pound.

On the other hand: I'm quite interested in people knocking good stuff down just to see what can be re-built afterwards. I may be a little poorer, but the Brexit news is giving me hours of entertainment.

13. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

I realise we disagree on the topic of SNP, but your personal assertion that their "days are numbered" flies in the face of all the evidence. You may WISH it was so, but that's hardly conclusive proof, it it? If you want to argue on a basis of 'numbers' and elections then, by all means try.

As we know Brexit has some way to travel and at present it seems only Sturgeon is making any efforts to find a path through for Scotland. At present Mrs May and her three Brexiteers are doing her work for her - never interrupt your enemy when they are helping you, I suppose.

At present it looks like the Government may be willing to pay the EU for 'city of London' exemption (good old bankers, again!), and 'deals' for NI and Gibraltar could be on the cards - yet they will refuse Scotland similar status? Ammunition made in heaven for independence, I might suggest.

14. Uh-huh.

So, the political landscape in Scotland has continuously shifted - virtually as far they it possibly could - numerous times over the past few decades, often driven by a populist message, and you reckon - even with the ever-increasing deficit experienced by that country - it somehow ain't going to happen again?

Ok. You are entitled to think that if you like. Clearly you believe that the SNP have something concrete to offer other than promises? I don't.

And you might even be right. But it would be astonishing if the folk up there (as I understand they increasingly are) don't soon wake up to the simple fact that the promises are hollow. As are the SNP's excuses for why.

Sturgeon has - what? - another Parliamentary session before cracks begin to appear? I don't mean an instant collapse (although that ain't beyond the realms of possibility - it's what happened to Labour, after all) but a steady drop in support. When that happens, Independence simply won't. She'll have missed her chance.

Which is why she's scurrying around now trying her best to make it happen.

And do not forget that what caused Labour's decline - and the SNP's astonishing gain - was the same credit crunch that led the swarms to vote for Brexit and virtually half of the USA to consider Trump.

And what led the Germans to support the Nazis.

THIS IS EXACTLY THE SAME MENTALITY IN EACH POPULATION.

And you are welcome to it.

This is very good: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07w4d63

15. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

Godwin's law. You lose.

Deleted member 33931 and Lanc like this.
  16. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

Perhaps you might explain that conclusion with some data?

Where do you get the idea of these 'cracks'? Did you witness any of the conference last week - if this showed cracks then I'm sure the other major parties would LOVE such cracks in their parties!

She has been doing this "scurrying " to sound out feelings about the Scottish position around Europe (something the Tories should have been doing before the referendum). She is acting exactly like a 'Leader' should!

17. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Well the last time we left Europe was June 1940 and that worked out fine in the end!;)
    Don't worry, be happy ♫ :)

18. LOL! :D

(I've been hook, line and sinkered... :oops:)

19. I really thought the excess borrowing by the Scottish Parl was an accepted given, Lancs? It is not a perceived truth (to those who have looked...) that "public sector borrowing in Scotland for schools, roads, rail and education is set to dwarf their annual £30bn budget"? Not that the SNP shout about this, of course.

Cracks? I have to 'fess it's based mostly on a (what I would consider) trustworthy source - a clear-thinking cousin in Glasgae. And an ex-Labour MP who I know well (yeah, biased, I know...).

So you reckon the public confidence in the SNP remains unaffected? Cool. I wonder how long for...

Yes, 'scurrying'. Seriously, Lancs, this is her only chance. I accept she is an awesome politician, and a blessed relief after Salmond's intolerable cockiness and glibness. But, I fear her head is starting to rock with the same self-deluded arrogance and certainty that her predecessor's did.

Not a pretty sight.

Her Tory counterpart knocks her into next week in the personality and integrity stakes, in my opinion.

But, as you say, this is point we are poles apart on, based - pretty much - on what we want to happen to the UK. And I dare say it'll remain so.

Other than that I love you lots... :D

20. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

Brilliant, one of the embittered mob that was thrown out at the last GE when the SNP tsunami hit Labour? What opinion did you really expect from him/her?

I could make personal opinions, such as your last two posts on this matter, but about Labour - and with actual facts instead of things like :- "I fear her head is starting to rock ", "knocks her into next week in the personality and integrity stakes, in my opinion.", "this is her only chance".

All very fine words, but hardly anything that you can back up. Your new 'heroine', Ruth, has been taken apart at the last couple of FMQs by Sturgeon - and I suspect more after the break (but she's playing to the English crowd by doing 'Bake Off and HIGNFY", at present, in her quest for an eventual safe English 'seat' at Westminster).
    Finally,

"excess borrowing" ??
    Are you not aware that Scotland is NOT ALLOWED TO BORROW - they must balance their budget every year - by law!!

Want to have another shot?

I find you quite cute and puppy-like.....:rolleyes: