BREXIT, Who Is Laughing Now?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by palavaman, Oct 18, 2016.

1. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Interesting debate.... I voted remain and still think that was the right call! My broad reasons were that we are a sovereign nation but part of europe and that remains [no pun intended] the case now for trade, security and peace. Lets not forget one of the underlying principals of the EU was to avoid another war. My two main fears for us outside the EU are security and trade [and hence our economy], I fear the threat of the Russians, their posturing and and incursions/involvements are part of a greater plan and a greater Russia. Make no mistake they will be a force to reckon with and outside of Europe we will no have the economic clout, or political backing of the EU.
    On trade we are going to have to fight hard on renegotiating just about every trade agreement with the EU and they will want their pound of flesh for it. My view is that we will have to trade significantly on free movement [in another guise] to get these trading rights and in doing so invalidate the main reason of Brexit, immigration.
    So in the end, in a few years, we will truly see that having a referendum and leaving the EU was a terrible mistake. I would go further an say that historians will look back on it as an economic, political and social disaster for the UK, at least what will remain of the UK.....

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

14th Ed,, You know the EU will shoot themselves in the foot or cut their own arm off, just to spite the UK for even daring to have the referendum in the first place. Q,, do you think the EU genuinely cares about our small island nation (and has our best interests at heart)? Nah , they're just like our own MP's (according to some) The reality is, the EU cares nothing for us at all. What they do care about, is the money the UK pours into the EU. Even the architect of the Euro thinks the Euro is doomed to extinction (and what will happen if the Euro fails?) I'm sure in a few years, historians will look back at the Brexit fiasco and ask "Why didn't we do this years ago?" They''ll be looking back and saying "It was an economic, political and social disaster for the EU experiment (which is almost certainly bound to fail)

longboat and diy_nixy like this.
  3. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Could not agree more.
    What the remainers "project fear" points? Cameron said it could lead to a World War. Well WW1 was triggered by the shooting of Archduke Ferdinand but they don't shoot people anymore do they!?!
    WW2 was triggered by Hitler invading Poland I seem to remember..but nobody would imvade Poland now would they? No ? Are you sure?
    They said prices would go up . Well they are doing. The pound's value would fall , Well it has.
    What the brexiters say . £350M a week could or would be given to the NHS. Oh no it wasn't it will be only £100M per week. T May has now said that there will nothing extra for the NHS.
    Immigration will be reduced. Not much sign of that yet. They cannot even tell who are children or who are adults. They could have employed a couple of cinema usherettes to do this. Meanwhile a poor 10 year old African boy cannot come here because he has no relatives here. Shame on them.

Even if the Government had competent people to deal with brexit it would still be the most difficult thing any country has had to do legally or financially.
    Usually the Government is incapable of bringing large projects to a satisfactory conclusion without spending inordinate sums of money and massive time overruns.

4. joinerjohn1

Hmmmm sounds just like the EU then (except they'll do it on an even bigger scale with our money)

5. PaulBlackpool

Is that all you could manage John.?:)
    In the overall scheme of things the money paid to the EU will pall into insignificance if this Government can't delivery a good brexit.
    I would say that a lot of money the UK has received back from the EU has found itself in all parts of the UK.
    If this Government is in charge of it will probably not get further north than Watford Gap.

6. PaulBlackpool

7. joinerjohn1

As a net contributor, we get far less back than we ever pay in Paul. Plus the fact that the money we get back, has to be spent the way the EU tells us how it must be spent. EU funding for various projects also comes with the UK having to match the funding. So in effect the EU is also telling us how to spend our own money. It has and still is a dictatorship (but Remoaners just can't see that)

longboat likes this.
  8. facilities

facilities Guest

Hello all, I'm of the old school and believe we will be better off away from the rest of Europe when it implodes, I will not pretend to state my case as eloquently as DA who is a remainer, however I don't believe the man or woman on the street has ever believed we were Europeans we are British, that little strip of water has kept us pretty much insular, except perhaps some of the younger people at university or otherwise who know better, I did read that if they thought that the Brexit vote would win they would have got out of bed and voted (perhaps paper talk) I still believe we have an excellent skill base across the board and in the long term will prosper, and money talks, I am sure not only Europe but the rest of the world will want to do business with us, our stock market is soaring and most of the negatives I have heard have been from the remainers undoubtedly upset that non of the pre referendum prophises about Armageddon should Brexit win has materialised, and they seem to be going out of their way to ensure that Their non existent prophecies come true.

Unfortunately since Maggie we have not had a leader who is capable of standing up to the rest of Europe, it remains to be seen how May handles it

9. Here's the thing, JJ - something you know in your heart but you are so desperate to believe otherwise.

You want to believe that the EU doesn't give a stuff about Britain - just like you (and your ilk) don't give a stuff about the EU. But that is not the case. That is something you've pulled out of the air without any justification whatsoever. So no change there. There is nothing you can cite to give weight to your scurrilous claim. You just want it to be true - because of the hatred you feel for the EU.

The 28 countries currently in the EU have, at their centre, the 'big three'. That is Germany Britain and France - and probably in that order. These three have set the moral agenda and it's what makes the EU the greatest political union on this planet.

Amongst the big three, Britain was the country most associated with what this human rights-based union was all about, since Germany had it's somewhat unfortunate recent history (since more than made up for) and France was, well, France. When East European countries were fighting off their dictatorships and looking forwards to a future of true democracy, Britain was the beacon that gave them drive.

You will snort at this, of course, despite it being the simple truth. You will snort at it because you want your suspicion and dislike (nay, hatred) of the EU to be reciprocated by them as it'll give you validity and justification.

Sadly for you, the hatred goes one way only.

What a nasty and cynical person you come across as. You who will chant with delight at any damage our exit will cause the EU. That bastion of all that represents the best future for the human race - unity, working together, looking out for eachother, giving eachother a hand up when needed, providing for its people the highest levels of safety, protection and human rights.

Yuck.

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Like they helped Greece?

11. joinerjohn1

Nasty? Cynical?? Just have a look in the media at what Junckers and his cronies are saying about the UK for having the audacity to express their views of the EU DA . Now there's a nasty piece of human being right there. Still issuing veiled threats to the UK.. . You have to ask yourself how this man came to be one of the most powerful people in the EU.
    For all that you hark on, and on, and on about Human Rights, you know yourself that's a small part of what the EU is about. Why do you concentrate wholly on only this facet of the EU ? You mention protection. I did mention on another thread that the EU should be protecting it's own EU members jobs first and foremost, only for you to agree that it's alright for them to farm our jobs out to non EU countries,, after all it's only business.. Do you seriously think big business concerns itself with "Human Rights" ? Christ sake DA rename yourself "quick as the "Saviour" instead of the Devils Advocate.

12. PaulBlackpool

We are members of the European Space Agency along with some other EU members and other European Countries which are not in the EU. So I suppose our membership of the ESA will continue . But who really knows?. The agency does receive funding from the EU. Maybe we would have to contribute more to it when we come out of the EU to compensate. Or will they say that the UK is not interested in "little green men" and come out of the ESA? The World' population increase will kill off mankind eventually. The only room for expansion is to go into space and colonise one of the exoplanets they keep discovering. Because of wars and military spending the exploration of space has not progressed as it could have done. We should be on Mars by now and have a base on the Moon. This is just one of the many scientific collaborations that benefit us being in the EU. Was any of this mentioned in the run up to the referendum. Was it hell!

13. Nuts.

14. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Exactly, not much of the EU there, was there. !!!!!!!

15. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

16. joinerjohn1

DA, when I read in the papers and see on the News at Six the words coming out of Juncker's mouth, I know that the EU masters hate us Brits. As I said previously, the EU will shoot themselves in the foot , just to spite us.

17. PaulBlackpool

I am a "lefty" and proud of it. The Tories are for the 1% (richest) which includes themselves.