Brick / block garden wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Shedmen, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

Hi looking for advice on what sort of blocks I could use to build a garden wall with 1.5 brick square piers with block panels in between that will be rendered and painted with a clay tile weather detail topped by a brick on edge soldier course? Looking for economy.
    Hope this makes sense.
    Cheers

Shedmen

2. jonah.

jonah. New Member

Shedmen - couple of questions sir,

Is the wall retaining or free standing?

Are you wanting the piers in brick for aesthetics or just thought it about right for a pier size?

Cheers - jonah

3. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

The wall is freestanding it would only be about 1.5m high or to the nearest sensible course height. It is a front garden wall. The brick pier detail is to, well the whole design is to match up with the predominant design for the neighborhood. i know little about using modern blocks so assume I would want something frost proof? but if rendering and painting maybe not? using blocks because I would assume cheaper than using bricks? Right or wrong? The first course showing coming out of the ground will be brick so that the panel is set back.

Thanks
    Shedmen

4. jonah.

jonah. New Member

Just wanted to clarify your design before I commented on construction sir.

The cheepest way would be to form in 100mm thick 7N dense concrete blocks (3.5N would be fine but getting harder to get hold of) the piers could be formed within the blockwork construction at 440 x 215mm and bonded in quite nicely (piers at max 3.0m centres)

However, to give a bit more visual relief the 1st couple courses could be in face brick with face brick piers as you say. The size of pier you have suggested is sufficient for a single skin wall if situated at max 3.0m centres. You will have to provide either bed reinforcement to bond the piers to the wall or cut some bricks to bond into the blockwork.

Cheers - jonah

5. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

Thanks

Shedmen

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

BUT FIRST, check with your local council on the regulations they have regarding wall heights.

Basic allowance is about 1 meter high in the front garden.

Anything higher may not be allowed.

Mr. HandyAndy - really