Brick or Stud?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Shanks Kop, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Shanks Kop

Shanks Kop New Member

Howdy Chaps,

I’m intending to install a monitor/TV arm to an internal wall and I’m struggling to work out if the internal wall is one with stud beams (I can’t seem to find any with all the various methods – I don’t own a stud finder) or a brick wall. Any tips?

Also what fixings work best if it is brick? The monitors are normally 5-6kg

Thanks in advance

2. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

It could be Dot and Dab on a masonry wall?
    To find any studs in a stud wall you open up a small hole and insert a bent wire coat hanger, twirl it until you hit a stud.
    Whatever backing piece you use to hang the TV from it must be firmly fixed to something solid.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Go along the wall horizontally tapping with your knuckle until the sound changes and you hear a dull thud, then measure 400 and 600mm off that area in both directions and you should happen upon timber studs, it’s then simple to work out their positions.

Dot and dab will be similar, however if you follow the sound upwards and downwards then there will be voids between the dabs that will sound hollow when tapped. If there is a door on this wall you can determine the walls construction by the width of the door lining too.

4. H Bell

H Bell Active Member

Best thing to do is just drill in to the wall and see what it is there. The fixings depend on the type of wall.