brick screws

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by hoof hearted, Nov 14, 2003.

1. hoof hearted

hoof hearted New Member

how good are these screws that do not require plugs. you just drill a clearance hole and screw in?

Attached Files:

2. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Never used em but told they are brill!!

3. poolethetool

poolethetool New Member

Just remember not to drill into mortar as it will just crumble

4. MoneyPit

MoneyPit Member

Is it the 'torx' fixings? thats what we call them anyway. We've started using them for fitting uPVC windows instead of frame anchors. They're 7.5mm diam and we just drill a clearance hole of 6.5mm then the screw threads itself into the brick and they're rock solid. plus the head is a torx bit so there is less chance of the bit slipping.

Stu

5. George Icbar

George Icbar New Member

I'm assuming you're talking about these Multi-monti things Screwfix are selling.

Mine were ****, half of them sheared. If they can take the torques required to get them into the hole, they're probably quite good.

6. kesh

kesh New Member

I think it depends on the density of the bricks themselves, I used to live in an area of the country where the bricks were quite soft (yellow stock bricks) I've now moved to a different part of the country & the bricks here are hard as stone!! On a 8mm hole, a cordless (18v) hammer drill is pathetically useless, a 750W hammer drill gets there slowly so I now use my SDS machine -ahhh!!- I doubt if you could use brick screws in these bricks!