Brick slips on damp wall

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by aliwatsonphoto, Jun 4, 2020.

1. aliwatsonphoto

aliwatsonphoto New Member

Hi all.

I figure this would be more of a tilers thing but wasn't sure if it would be more of a bricky thing.

Just bought a house (circa 1800 so the walls a solid) and I'm doing up the kitchen. I want brick slips on opposing walls. I've heard you can apply them to plastered walls but upon inspection I decided to take the plaster off, which has come off in huge chunks so I'm glad I did as the weight of brick slips will be in the region of 30kg per m2.

I've noticed the bottom of the wall is very damp so I'm wondering how to go about sorting it before I apply the brick slips.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks
    Alastair IMG_20200604_212750.jpg

2. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Before you can fix it you need to find the cause, outside would be a good place to start :)

3. aliwatsonphoto

Thanks. I'll take a look tomorrow after work. Am I right by saying it's probably not condensation if the plaster that was on the surface was dry? It's probably penetrating damp, right? Like you said I'll take a look tomorrow to get a better idea. Could you not tile o we the top then if I bond it first?

4. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Ah you mean bodge it, of course you can

Joe the Plumber likes this.
  5. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

You've used the expression 'penetrating damp'. Don't fall for any salesman's bovine dung. You need to be very careful when dealing with older houses not to wreck them (you shouldn't ever need to buy any cement, for example) and with all dampness issues, you must find and rectify the SOURCE of the water.

Before you go about doing anything else, have a read all about damp here:

https://www.heritage-house.org/

I also can't understand wanting to apply fake bricks to beautiful, early 1800s bricks. But that's up to you of course.

6. aliwatsonphoto

Well I don't if that's bodging or not. After all, that's why I'm here as a novice asking the question

7. aliwatsonphoto

Thanks for the the link I'll have a look. To be honest I don't think the bricks I've exposed are original. They look to be a mish mash of different bricks from repairs over the years. The house also used to belong to the pub next door and it looks like external doors have moved alongside different ownership.

Thanks for the advice re. The source of the damp. I'll investigate further

8. Joe the Plumber

Thanks Alastair. I'm on my phone and the photo on it is rather small to see the bricks clearly. It's an interesting problem. Please keep us posted with your progress.

I have a bit of a thing about damp, as you might have gathered!

9. aliwatsonphoto

Will do. I've actually taken your advice and decided to cancel my brick slip order, which has saved me a lot of money. The more I think about it the more it makes sense to just clean the bricks up and get the whole thing repointed. My suspicion is that the ground level outside is higher than that of the kitchen and therefore enhancing the condensation build up, but we'll see.

Thanks again
    Alastair

10. Joe the Plumber

Great idea. I'm sure, with some careful preparation, your walls will look stunning.

And if you want some lovely lime mortar for the re-pointing (I really ought to be on commission...):

https://www.lime-mortars.co.uk/

The ground level problem is very common. Do post again about it when you've had a look as there's plenty of folk on here with good ideas to help sort it.