Brick Slips - To Seal or not To Seal?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Tony Dimav, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Tony Dimav

Tony Dimav New Member

Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice on brick slips as I have never fitted them before, I am confident of the installation of these (I am a tiler by trade), but these will be fitted as a splashback along the worktops and up and around the extractor fan - my question is has anyone had experience with sealing them, i.e is it required? or not? The brick slips i have used is these - https://www.slipsfromstock.com/product/old-althorne-sample-panel/ as you can see they have a good amount of texture on them, so I want to avoid food spills getting in the brick - but I am worried that a sealer will change the appearance of them - as i know matt sealer is ok on some products but i am not sure about brick slips!

2. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

Putting on any kind of sealer will substantially change their appearance - a bit like putting oil onto a timber worktop. They’ll go a fair bit darker I’m sorry to say. How about getting a sample and trying it first?

3. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Active Member

A question rather than an answer but what about Thompson water seal? I’ve used many times on brickwork. Zero change to the appearance of the brick. Easy to spray or brush apply and water just beads up and rolls off. Not sure to what extent if any it would seal from oil and grease though which is going to be your main issue for that location. Anything that will seal by forming a coating on the brick is obviously going to be more effective but will change the appearance as said above.