Bricking it.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by TryAnything, Oct 17, 2003.

1. TryAnything

TryAnything New Member

Hi
    Three quick diy bricky questions.

1) I'm replacing some frost damaged bricks at the front of my house. As there are a few it concerns me that the new ones wont be taking any load as its v difficult to replace 1 brick and get the mortar tight at the top. Any tips???

2)Even with the correct mix, every time I put mortar on the end of a brick to insert it, 9/10 times it &*%^!! falls off as I go to put it in!!.
    What am I doing wrong???

3) Anybody tried the gun type mortar applicator from Screwfix? Is it worth £25?

Be kind :)

Attached Files:

• 16.png
      File size:
      5.1 KB
      Views:
  2. brickie

brickie New Member

first of all,dont even consider the gun application tool,
    in my opinion its a waste of time and money unless you want to end up with the wall covered in mortar smears.
    this sort of method is intended for use with large scale
    repointing and in my opinion nothing can beat a traditional hand board and trowel/brick jointer.
    what you need to do is make sure the mix is just right nice and sloppy,make sure all the old mortar from the brick your repacing has been removed.then apply the mortar to the lower bed joint and butter the two sides around it.
    next butter the top of the brick,not to much or it will drop down the cavity when you insert it .when you insert it hold the brick at an angle of about 30 degrees and as you push it in level it out.some of the mortar is bound to push out of the top joint dont worry,when your happy with the positioning of the brick you need to stem the mortar into the top joint with a pointing trowel or jointer untill it pushes right back and the joint is solid.if you are worried about the load use this method and just cut out one or two bricks at a time.if the damaged bricks are scattered fairly widely you shouldnt have any thing to worry about.

3. TryAnything

TryAnything New Member

Cheers Brickie,

Thanks for taking time out for the advice!

4. jaslang

jaslang New Member

Mortar always shrinks slightly when it dries regardless of how well packed the joint is.

If the brickwork being replaced is load bearing leave the top joint open overnight and then pack with slate by tapping pieces in with your hammer before finally pointing over

5. mr bodgit

mr bodgit New Member

you might find a 'strongboy'or 2 useful if you`r worried about suporting brickwork above.. available from most hire shops, they act in the same way as using needles thro the wall, but with much less damage.