Bricking up small window

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by The Shadow, Feb 20, 2018.

1. The Shadow

The Shadow Member

Hi i am removing a 600mm wide x 900mm tall internal window on standard cavity wall

My question is can i just brick up between the existing bricks or would i have to tooth in the new brickwork in by removing half bricks either side to stagger the brickwork.

It my own house so i am not to bothered about about creating straight joints where the new brickwork joins the existing bricks especially as it is being dry lined over and skimmed.

Just want to know if its safe practice to do this

Thanks for any advice

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Looks neater to tooth the brickwork, easy job with small grinder or sds mortar rake.

Nothing to stop you doing it your way, fix a few frame ties to brickwork to tie it all together.

3. The Shadow

The Shadow Member

Many thanks for the reply, I have a small grinder but just concearned about all the dust in the house.

Cheers

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Do inner wall first,then no dust will get into the house, use a few frame ties screwed to exsisting blockwork to tie in new blockwork.

5. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

Is the outer skin face brickwork or rendered?

6. The Shadow

The Shadow Member

Thanks that makes sence

7. The Shadow

The Shadow Member

Outer wall is an internal wall, it was faced brickwork but will be drywalled over new brickwork