Bricklaying

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Carp Addict, May 17, 2007.

1. Carp Addict

Carp Addict New Member

Ive done the foundation craft skills(day release instead of school,for 2 years)and passed that and got CREDIT,now i want to do Level 1,2 and 3 in bricklaying!!!
    Also what do you have to do to be part of the FMB?
    On average how much would a brickie get whos got all them levels passed per month approx in the surrey area?
    Also after that i was thinking about becoming self employed!!!
    Any help appreciated,Jace

2. deacon

deacon New Member

well done jace on your credit

Fact ;Why would you want to become a member of the fmb if you are to be a bricklayer or are you to be a builder

Fact ; Self employed brickies with all the qualifications are fine, on site its all about laying , how many and how quick ,you will see the slow ones on site who will earn 60.00 per day a true brickie will earn 3 times that and if you are a sub contractor you will earn more.You will pick up speed when you work with a brickie , don't try to match his speed it will take time, well done on you credit now put it to good use

3. Carp Addict

Carp Addict New Member

thanks mate i appreciate it!!!
    sorry i thought the FMB was for bricklayers,yes mate i want to be a bricklayer!
    Because the college course is only 2 1/2 days a week(and thats classed as full time)i also have a job but i am hoping to get day release with a building company for 1 day a week as well!!!
    Thanks mate,jace

4. ­

­ New Member

Best way to earn good money as a brickie is to be part of a 4 and 2 (being one of the 4) on a split, all work measured.

Good gangs can earn over £5k a week in South East.

5. ...best way to earn good money as a brickie is to get one of these

6. ­

­ New Member

:^O :^O :^O :^O

7. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

Is that a wind up GU10...:(

8. deacon

deacon New Member

...best way to earn good money as a brickie is to get
    one of these

I don't think so ,any brickie would not entertain such an item

When you start jace buy a small trowel and learn how to handle it , after a year or so move up to the Marshalltown 19/12 the trowel all good brickies would use , replace every year , thats if you know how to use it and you have laid enough bricks , good luck big boy

9. yan1

yan1 New Member

Dare I say this??
    It can depend on your tolerance for performing a SOMETIMES mind numbinginly monotonous job. Working on site laying brick after brick after brick, not so entertaining to some, or indeed challenging. Working for a smaller contractor could prove to be a bit more varied if that's what you're after???

10. deacon

deacon New Member

Best way to earn good money as a brickie is to be
    part of a 4 and 2 (being one of the 4) on a split,
    all work measured.

No , the best is 5 and 2 and your not one of the five , you are the one and the others work for you

11. deacon

deacon New Member

Dare I say this??
    It can depend on your tolerance for performing a
    SOMETIMES mind numbinginly monotonous job. Working on
    site laying brick after brick after brick, not so
    entertaining to some, or indeed challenging. Working
    for a smaller contractor could prove to be a bit more
    varied if that's what you're after???

You can say that van,SOMETIMES mind numbinginly monotonous job , nothing wrong in that if you make money , more bricks laid more money earnt , work for a small firm 1st and then set your sights high , become the fastest brickie on the job , not the plodder in the corner

12. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

Don't all jobs have times where they are mind numbingly boring? Much as I love my work, it can have boring times.

13. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

I'm a Giggalo(currently unemployed) and even my job can get boring. Although its not so much mind numbing, its more my hand. :)

14. The Brickie

The Brickie New Member

When I completed my apprenticeship I went on site for a year or two to hone my craft, that was back in the eighties when we built the same house (on a big site) every time, THAT was boring!

Current wages seem to be £12.50 - £15 a hour, price work is better but as said you need a gang.

To get on site you will need all the tax paperwork.

Get the biggest trowel you can get your hands on, no body uses a small trowel, min size 11" go choose one that suits you.

Also check www.londonbricklayers.co.uk and have a happy life laying!

15. yan1

yan1 New Member

Let me word my views another way.
    If money is the sole priority whilst performing a job, then I would suggest the mindset of that person would be able to tolerate being a 'Brickie'.
    For myself and others that have come to realise that it needs to be a balancing act between many factors, makes money less important. Variety of job, meeting different people, learning new skills are just some of the benefits I thrive on from not laying as many bricks as possible everyday.
    This also enables me to actually enjoy doing some brickwork when it comes along from time to time.

16. limestone cowboy

limestone cowboy New Member

Also, people change. I had a higher tolerance of repetative jobs when I was younger and wanted the money. Now I'm older, I value my time more (it's running out) and choose work for other reasons, rather than because it's well paid.

17. gangman

gangman New Member

Best way to earn good money as a brickie is to be
    part of a 4 and 2 (being one of the 4) on a split,
    all work measured.

Working as a gang, some of my best earnings were working as a 1 and 1 with my brother. We were making £300 - £500 a day and this was in the early eighties. All I done was laid bricks and blocks, no pointing, no cutting, just laying.

We used to go to work in a three year old 5 series BMW, Blakes profiles and barrow tied on the roof rack, that was pure class. The site agents would be turning up their cortinas and cavaliers and still try and look down on us, what pratts.
    Looking back, what good days they were, we've all had them, the sad part is we can never go back to them.

In those days I'd aim for 2000 plus face bricks a day, now 750 and I'd be over the moon, and aching all over as well.

Carp, bricklaying is a great trade to be in, go for it. You can make fair money and have a good laugh doing it. One of the best things I found, you can go anywhere and be a bricklayer, which is good when times are bad.

18. T

T Member

I passed my city and guilds 14 years ago, with distinction, as said previously, the speed and money will come in time. Just don't become one of those brickies that slash em down to earn more, I for 1 am peed off with going round correcting their mistakes.

19. deacon

deacon New Member

I passed my city and guilds 14 years ago, with
    distinction, as said previously, the speed and money
    will come in time. Just don't become one of those
    brickies that slash em down to earn more, I for 1 am
    peed off with going round correcting their mistakes.

Just because over the years you obtain the speed its doesn't mean you lay them bad , give me a speed merchant any day ,if you plod now and show no interest 10 years pass and you still the snail in the corner ,get the speed by working with a quick bricklayer set your target to be quicker and then move on to the next , before you know where you are your one of the fastest around , plodders sit in the corner , tiny trowel no speed , no job

20. T

T Member

not met many faster.Its a balance of speed and quality.