Briggs and Stratton mower running problem!!!

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Doddgee1, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Doddgee1

Doddgee1 New Member

Hi all

I have a Briggs and Stratton champion 35 (Mountfield 10D902 0153 B1) which wont stay running:mad:. Carb changed, air filter changed, plug seems to be sparking well but after fuel provided by primer is spent it cuts out, any help massively appreciated!:):):)

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Make sure breather pipe is clear, & fuel cap vent not blocked.

3. xednim

xednim Active Member

how old is your mower?

4. Doddgee1

Doddgee1 New Member

Not sure how old as got it given, fuel cap vent has been cleared but have not checked breather pipe....will give it a go and let ya know...THANKS!!!

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Also give fuel tank a clean out, might be a bit of crud in there.

6. Doddgee1

Doddgee1 New Member

Have checked the breather tune and breather valve, the tube is clear however the valve looks very oily. Is there any way of cleaning these or is a new one the only way?

7. Doddgee1

Doddgee1 New Member

Have already cleaned out tank, there was a lot of crud in there as suggested, but still no changeo_O

8. xednim

xednim Active Member

Low compression will case similar problems

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Fuel tap running freely?

10. Doddgee1

Doddgee1 New Member

Sorry, complete newbie, fuel tap?

11. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

You say new carb fitted so probably not a split diaphragm in it. I'd check the following
    Is fuel getting to the carb, i.e. Pull off the supply pipe and turn the tap on if there is one
    Did you fit the gasket securely between the new carb and head when you replaced the carb
    Are you sure the choke linkage is operating correctly. Take off the air cleaner and when the choke is on the flap valve should be closed and when off fully open. See if the lever operates it correctly.

12. Doddgee1

Doddgee1 New Member

Carb and diaphragm seems snug, no fuel line or tap as carb sits on tank.Carb primer works ok, and choke seems to be opening and closing correctly.

13. SimonSmart1977

SimonSmart1977 New Member

Hi everyone, I’m also having some major issues with my Briggs and Stratton 10D502 0153 engine. It had been running perfectly for several years with regular servicing, then it started losing revs, like it was going to cut out, it then started to cut out after 5/10 minutes use, I’ve stripped down carburettor, cleaned it out, completely replaced the fuel, new spark plug, filter and new gasket & diaphragm on carburettor and replaced the governor and governor idle springs but it’s still made no difference. When it’s running I’ve tried moving the spring mechanism to get it rev higher and it doesn’t do anything, almost makes it closer to cutting out. I’m absolutely pulling my hair out with it. I’m even willing to take it to an grass cutting engineer place but they don’t take such small mowers
    Please help

14. SimonSmart1977

SimonSmart1977 New Member

Following on from my post above, I have now found the problem, it was the seal between the carburettor and the engine