British Gas Smart Meters

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by fred812, Feb 9, 2022.

1. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

Anyway as I was (I think my answer got lost in the squabble :D)

Think you have to link it to Hive to get the same info on your phone that you do on the smart meter. Brit gas have an app but there's minimal meter info on it

Hope that helps :)

2. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

After you calm down you might realise that a usage monitoring device is actually also a smart meter by definition.
    Will you apologise to the o.p?

fred812 likes this.
  3. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Ok, thanks for getting back, I'll look into that.
    Sorry for any lack of clarity in the question, but you obviously have the ability to know what I meant!
    Thanks again.

Hell68 likes this.
  4. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi,
    Well I understood its Title,
    But I am a Geordie we dont speak English anyway.

Tak carr Bonny Lad

fred812 likes this.
  5. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Yunno I had never never been quite sure so when matey boy kicked off I just assummed I had got it wrong, which obviously offended them massively!
    Thanks for clarifying.

6. elecstick

elecstick Screwfix Select

Yes, I know what you mean, like a wheel barrow is like an oil tanker, just a matter of scale, I'll have to remember not remember that.

For what? the op is incapable of explaining himself, not my fault, and some people are stupidly supporting his novel way of communication ie always use a heading thats nothing to do with the subject.

7. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

I must apologise. I do feel I started this argument by pointing out the initial confusion but.......

Technically the British Gas 'device' has everything to do with the British gas smart meter (the heading!)

Please have a good evening :D

Cloudsnapper likes this.
  8. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

A smart meter is a term that can be accurately attributed to many different devices. It is not the o.p's fault that you made an incorrect assumption and the o.p is not responsibile for your subsequent meltdown.
    For your clarification, a wheel barrow that contained oil would be an oil barrow, not an oil tanker.
    A device that collates real time data is SMART.
    A device that measures usage is a METER.
    Drop your aggressive overtones,it's not big and it's not clever.

9. elecstick

meltdown - haha, oil barrow - haha aggressive - says the man that stirs up an almost dead argument - haha, keep stirring

10. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

You ranted and even smashed your caps lock button a few times,shouting in capital letters going from smart meters to English being your first language blah blah blah....
    Now it's a case of aggressive? Who me?
    Pahahaha

elecstick likes this.
  11. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I am reading this thread as a sophisticated (only a bit) satire on the wonders of internet discourse.

I could understand the objection to the OP's thread title if it had been "What is your position on the Schleswick-Holstein question", or perhaps "My hot air balloon has sprung a leak" and then to ask about an app to read one's energy usage, but this is taking pedantry to new limits.

elecstick, Cloudsnapper and sparko69 like this.
  12. elecstick

What is your position on the Schleswick-Holstein question - the pigeons milk was sour, sausages are good but its a bit fizzy not enough, and I worry about my leaking balloon, could be up here forever, wheres hot air when you need it, a smart meter is tall enough.

Schrödinger's cat is a thought experiment that illustrates a paradox of quantum superposition. Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue

13. JimboJenkins

JimboJenkins New Member

For anyone interested in the original topic, the British Gas app will show all smart meter data including hourly and cost data. No Hive system required.

I personally had issues getting it to appear in the app for a few weeks after smart meter install but it miraculously started working one day and now all historic data is available.

14. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

I recall reading that on the Hive forum and Hell68 alluded to it in this thread, trouble is that extension to the app hasn't appeared on mine. Do you pay extra for access to your Hive data?
    Thanks for the update.

15. JimboJenkins

JimboJenkins New Member

I don’t understand where Hive comes into it? I just have the bog standard British Gas app which relays the information viewable on the plug-in-at-the-wall in display unit that came with the smart meter- which I don’t use any more.

16. JimboJenkins

JimboJenkins New Member

I use the Drayton Wiser system for smart heating etc, completely separate from BG smart meter.

17. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Its what I've read somewhere, pretty sure it was on the Hive forum and here of course, but agree entirely that it should be possible without it.

18. JimboJenkins

JimboJenkins New Member

I did have some teething problems and it wouldn’t load for several weeks after meter install but I believe that was related to switching from pay monthly to credit.

Do you get an error message on the British Gas app?

19. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

@JimboJenkins where can you access the info on the app please? I've had it for years and never been able to find it!:D

20. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Don't get anything on the BG app.
    Don't see any way to access the data.
    All I get is the standard historic stuff and account info etc.
    I'm using an Android tablet, wife uses and Android phone and same for her.