Broken brick: poor tradesmanship?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by rodrialcazar, Feb 22, 2023.

Tags:
  1. rodrialcazar

rodrialcazar New Member

Hello. Got a Ring floodlight installed today and the traders have broken the brick on which they installed the mount (not saying anything to me afterwards). I understand you can drill outdoor brick without damaging it. Would this prove to be poor tradesmanship from them? Is the cam secure to the wall now? Any advice on how to proceed would be welcomed. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Ay Bee Cee

Ay Bee Cee Active Member

If the mortar surrounding the brick is poor density &/or the brick is drilled near the edge &/or screw is too big for the drilled & plugged hole the brick can crack.

Are you asking how you can deal with it yourself.

rodrialcazar likes this.
  3. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Was this drilled from the inside?

4. rodrialcazar

rodrialcazar New Member

It may well have been, Comlec, I didn't notice.

5. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Drilling out can 'blow' the brick if you are not very careful.

6. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Bricks can, and do blow out like this, even with care, depends on many factors.

When it happens the resulting crater should be carefully filled with a properly mixed mortar.

The poor tradesmanship here is not the fact it blew, its the fact they seem to have fixed the camera over the gouge without making an effort to make good.

The camera could well still be rock solid on the wall, that depends on how well they did the plugs and if it sits on solid, even material at the edges of the mounting.

rodrialcazar likes this.