Bubbling and Cracking driving me mad

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by curadh, Jul 13, 2021.

1. curadh

curadh New Member

I've been painting a wall for what seems like a year. The process goes as follows. I clean out the shallow pits/ marks, then fill them with polyfilla, then sand them, then roll them with a matt water based paint. If the roller doesn't pull the polyfilla off, they soon bubble out and crack. I've tried using plasterboard adhesive as well, but does the same thing, I've also tried a brush, same problem. Maybe the wall underneath is 'breathing' or something (lime rubble)?

Then I have caulk along the top of the skirting - which doesn't seem to want to take the 'wood and metal' skirting paint. Keeps chipping and flaking.

Any ideas at all, have also tried valium but hasn't worked.

20210713_133612-min.jpg 20210713_133713-min.jpg

2. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Key to good finish is preparation- need to sand down to the right level and have a smooth clean surface to paint.

but in your case is there damp ? Pollyfilla should not fall out when painted unless it had a poor surface where it could not adhere.

Astramax, the expert in paints will comment

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Pollyfilla was good in it's day, far superior interior fillers available in todays market. You have an adhesion problem either due to poor preparation or from contamination such as silicone sealants or even water base paint over oil with no surface prep. Sand it all off, use Toupret interior filler (Screwfix stock it) which can be painted over without fear of flashing.

4. curadh

curadh New Member

Maybe the polyfilla needs more to cling on to, maybe I should scrape a 'key' for it first.

With the skirting I think I'm just gonna try matt ceiling paint on it instead along the top.

5. curadh

curadh New Member

I saw that Toupret stuff just now in b and q. Maybe I will try scratching, then some pva, then the polyfilla. After it peeled the first time i made sure to sand it down again and dust off, but maybe needs pva as mightve been chalky. Will definitely have learned need better prep for next time.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Forget the PVA at all costs and treat yourself to a packet of Toupret Interior.

7. curadh

curadh New Member

Ok, sounds like this is serious stuff!