Bubbling paint woes

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Dch2905, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Dch2905

Dch2905 New Member

Hi All,

I have recently moved into new a house and we're redecorating and I've got the lovely job of the kitchen.

Walls were painted with a dark purple emulsion of some description as I could get colour off of it with a wet sponge, did the obligatory sugar wash and all was prepped to go.
    I had the bright idea to use some wickes matt white emulsion as a base coat to try take the edge off of the colour before finishing with a 'pure cotton' silk equivalent.

This matt emulsion coverage was absolutely awful and 2 walls was done before I noticed how much better the silk was covering up colour in another roo, so left the matt to dry and the started using the silk the following day.

First coat of silk went on absolutely fine and where the previous paint was directly painted was pretty much the same colour as the painted matt base coat areas

The second coat however turned into a bubbly nightmare, where ever the matt base coat was used has caused lots of bubbles almost immediately after painting. I can grab some of these bubbles and pull the paint away in large sections, there is a dusty feeling to the underside of this paint and the wall where it was just pulled from almost as if its dusted with chalk. This chalkyness was not there when the base coat was dry prior to painting the silk.

The annoying and puzzling thing is the second coat on directly on the purple areas is absolutely fine. If the silk is fine directly on the purple paint I don't understand why the matt suddenly causing adhesion issues when over painted with the silk?

I was under the impression the using a matt base coat to cover up darker colours before finishing with final coats is common practice but it seems doing this has actually ruined half my work.

I'm a bit puzzled where I've gone wrong to be honest, should I have watered down the first coat of silk on the matt areas?

I also understand that painting half kitchen with a base coat and then binning it off is pretty silly but it seems like a good job that I didn't in the end.

I've gone round with a scraper and taken the bubbles off so what is left is a smooth surface, is there anyway to salvage these areas?

Any help/insight is appreciated, feeling rather disappointed with myself that if I hadn't bothered with the base coat all would be fine.

2. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

Although I have never used it, I very much suspect it is the manufacturer. Wickes Matt Emulsion is atrocious. I once encountered a house that had been painted with a very poor emulsion and got pretty much the same results you did, but never found out what paint it was. Perhaps it was Wickes! I used Zinser bin primer on top and it sorted it out. It did have some hiccups applying the primer but once it was dry then I happily applied coats on top without an issue.

Dch2905 likes this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Chalky matt contract emulsion with no vinyl in it on walls?
    If painting over I treat emulsion like that as bare plaster. Also need to allow the silk to fully dry and harden off before second coat is applied or the fresh paint softens the first coat and bubbles form.

4. Dch2905

Dch2905 New Member

Yeah not sure why I even bothered using it to be honest now... I guess I was just thinking it would give a nice surface to stick to. This primer you mentioned, if I want to salvage what I have left would letting the now spotty walls where I have chopped off the bubbles harden up, apply the primer and then continue as before do the trick or will the primer simply cause its own set of bubbling to compound the problem?

It wasn't chalky when the matt itself had dried, ran my finger over it and nothing visibly came off so took it as being fairly well stuck. If it had been I probably would of looked to seal it straight away thinking dusty surface = no good.

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

It's just some emulsions that have no vinyl in are very porous and durable emulsions and silk emulsions can be troublesome when applied over if you don't follow the application data sheet guide.
    BIN will create a water barrier but no fun to use.