build under units in high cabinet

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by vix nn, Sep 23, 2022.

1. vix nn

vix nn New Member

I want to change my half built kitchen design and put the fridge and freezer in my one high cabinet and put the oven and warming drawer etc in base cabinets. Issue is I already bought build under integrated fridge and freezer (more than 30 days ago so I cant return) . Question: can I somehow use one or both of these in a high cabinet? If so do I need a new cabinet (ikea) or just new shelves? Or would I have to by different appliances. Thanks for any advice

2. Ceebee

Ceebee Active Member

Do the fridge and freezer slide into a cabinet or are they freestanding and slide into the space between 2 cabinets? You need to check the specification and see what width they are.

3. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

If they are built under fully integrated fridge and freezers, they tend to be 600mm wide and rest directly on the floor. You wouldn’t be able to slide them into a tall larder unit as they are only 564mm internally. You’d have to chop the larder unit to it sits on top of fridge and it would have to be supported by tall cabinets either side. Tricky to do..

4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

As @Hausfix has said, unless you already have 2 tall housings in your kitchen with a 600mm gap between them your proposal is not doable.

5. vix nn

vix nn New Member

cheers and thanks for your responses and insight. The one tall unit has a wall one side and a panel the other (a 600mm gap, where the cabinet is). I guess that if the panel were replaced (it needs replacing) with a more sturdy upright (ie fake wall) and I had a bespoke strong shelf between the two appliances , I could do away with the cabinet and have them there with a small wall-hung cupboard above. or just buy a fridgefreezer :)

6. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

If you consider all the effort that would take, plus the end result of stacking one above the other, you be left with a small fridge area, a small freezer, a six inch gap between them, (which you would need a visible ventilation grill covering that gap between the doors) two sets of compressors using more electricity… the list goes on..
    You should stick both of them on eBay and probably recover at least 80% of their cost if brand new, and then use money to buy a proper full height integrated F/F.

Timbo66 likes this.