Builders bonfires....

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Captain Leaky, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Next door but one is a builder. He not only has two skips on his drive but has started burning rubbish almost every day to try and get his waste bill down.

I have chatted to him about it but he says it's a free country and he can have as many bonfires as he likes.

I'm reluctant to fall out with him as he is a neighbour, but....

Any suggestions?

2. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Most councils permit private bonfires providing they are not anti-social or dangerous...BUT...business bonfires are strictly controlled and in this case almost certain;y illegal, he will be looking at a £20k fine if he persists.

Look on your local council website, there is usually an online bonfires complaint form. Best of luck. :)

3. ecm

ecm New Member

Ditto Hotdog. You normally need a waste permit to light fires on site or apply for exemption if it's anything more than a 1 off 'domestic' bonfire. It's managed at a local level but all explained here:-

Burning construction and demolition wastes.

hth

4. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

i am looking at getting a wood burning stove and found out from the council that i live in a smoke control zone, clean air act 1978 so any wood burner has to be a clean burn exempt appliance, based on this any burning would come under this act if persistent, check with your local council

5. MTcock

MTcock New Member

If a bonfire causes a nuisance your local council can serve an abatement notice under the Environmental Act 1990.

6. THE BUILDER MAN

THE BUILDER MAN New Member

There aint nowt wrong with a good burn up. Polystyrene,old tyres and half empty aerosols are best. Allways make sure you dont check for hedgehogs before lighting because they cook up great and when crispy they make a great temporary football for having a kick about with......

7. Sounds like a complete muppet, can't you bring his immediate neighbours on board ?

8. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Cap'n. Note down how often they happen, at what times, and what you reckon is being burned.

Speak to your other neighbours (the one living between you and 'im must be especially well-pi**ed-off), and then contact the council.

What he is doing is not permitted.

Obviously, you don't want to fall out with him, so best if a few of you contact the council simultaneously!

9. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

update:

Apparently the local council have been round and caught him red-handed taking rubbish out of his skips and piling it on his bonfire.

They have issued some sort of court order and are taking...proceedings ?

He thinks we shopped him but both his neighbours and myself did not ( nearly did mind), although we have a good idea who did so I must pop over the road with a case of finest plonk ;)

10. devil's advocate

Result!

Be quite frank with him if he approaches you about this - tell him you honestly didn't shop him, but you probably would have done so as the smoke and smell were making life unpleasant and no-one should have to put up with this in a residential environment - SIMPLE.

11. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

12. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

If I was caught doing something I shouldn't have I would be rather more embarrassed about what I did, than annoyed about being snitched on.

This attitude speaks volumes for his professionalism.

13. dual193

dual193 New Member

I had a problem with the landlord of the pub at the end of our lane.. I had it out with him and told him that i did not mind him burning wood but plastic was a bit much on a summers day.

14. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

Did he punch your lights out? :^O

15. devil's advocate

Plastic is a bit much on any day at any time anyways.

Noxious substance - contact Environmental Health immediately if he does it again - no question.

The thoughtless twit.

16. Chirpyminton

Chirpyminton New Member

I collect my wood up and burn it once a year - on November the 5th, no complaints then!