Builders Paper - needed?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by EdTS, Apr 5, 2017.

1. EdTS

EdTS New Member

Hi - I'm in the process of building a permanent store/workshop/office - twin skin insulated blockwork - 7m by 3.6m. I want to clad the walls with waney edge boards so it "blends" in better with the surrounding. A chippy suggested that I should use building paper behind the battens to protect the outer skin of blockwork. Reading up on the material suggests it is more for smooth finish items such as floor screeds and timber, so is this just a "good" to have item, or is it definitely recommended....?

Thanks,
    Ed

2. harryprice17

harryprice17 New Member

Morning EdTS, hope you're having a good day so far.

Would also recomend using building paper, not an expensive product either.

Good luck.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The idea is that the "builders paper" works a bit like Gortex under the boards, by providing a water resistant layer but also allowing air though. Many different types and brands of product on the market

4. EdTS

EdTS New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the quick responses and explanation. I have been building on a tight budget so thought I might get away without it, but maybe I will just go for it anyway!!!!

Cheers,
    Ed

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

No problem,

There builders paperr is quite expensive you can look for vapour barriers which are cheaper