Builders Paper - needed?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by EdTS, Apr 5, 2017.

  1. EdTS

    EdTS New Member

    Hi - I'm in the process of building a permanent store/workshop/office - twin skin insulated blockwork - 7m by 3.6m. I want to clad the walls with waney edge boards so it "blends" in better with the surrounding. A chippy suggested that I should use building paper behind the battens to protect the outer skin of blockwork. Reading up on the material suggests it is more for smooth finish items such as floor screeds and timber, so is this just a "good" to have item, or is it definitely recommended....?

  2. harryprice17

    harryprice17 New Member

    Morning EdTS, hope you're having a good day so far.

    Would also recomend using building paper, not an expensive product either.

    Good luck.
  3. sospan

    sospan Screwfix Select

    The idea is that the "builders paper" works a bit like Gortex under the boards, by providing a water resistant layer but also allowing air though. Many different types and brands of product on the market
  4. EdTS

    EdTS New Member


    Thanks for the quick responses and explanation. I have been building on a tight budget so thought I might get away without it, but maybe I will just go for it anyway!!!!

  5. sospan

    sospan Screwfix Select

    No problem,

    There builders paperr is quite expensive you can look for vapour barriers which are cheaper

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice