Building a wet room tray

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Steve10123, Nov 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Steve10123

Steve10123 New Member

I'm about to rip out my old 700 X 700 shower enclosure and put a new one in. It will need to be raised as the waste piping is above ground. Not a problem there. I was thinking of going for the wet room look so that I can tile the floor of the shower.

I have been looking around at wet room kits and videos on YouTube, and am I missing something, or could you not just build a slight slope with plywood and tile over the top instead of buying one of the expensive kits. I'm thinking of getting a full width linear drain and put it at one end so I could have just a single fall from one side into the drain.

All of the kits I have seen involve sealing up all the joints of the tray to the walls including the corners but surely it's the tiles job to stop water from penetrating?

Is a timber and plywood slope a feasible option?

2. fostyrob

fostyrob Active Member

No reason not to do it the way as you suggest. It allows you to make a custom design to best suit your room and as you have found can be a more economical option.

What about using a cement based board for the floor such as the hardie boards which are waterproof as a extra precaution. You could then carry on using the hardie backer boards up the wall.

Whichever route you go ie ply or cement board I would tank the whole area before tiling on top.

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Cement board every time.

4. fostyrob

fostyrob Active Member

5. fillyboy

fillyboy Well-Known Member

Timber and plywood will work if done correctly, is well supported and solid. BUT, the two most misunderstood and misinterpreted words in the trade
    are 'waterproof' and 'flexible'.
    Waterproof grout means that the grout will not break down if constantly exposed to water, it is still very likely porous, the adhesive behind will normally be waterproof but only if laid as a full bed, so if timber is used, it must be 'tanked'.
    Flexible, in the case of the adhesive, often refers more to the ability to expand and contract, for example if underfloor heating is fitted, it doesn't mean it will bend all over the place if the floor 'moves', some adhesives are far superior to others, even though they may have the same basic description.
    Basically it's an expensive minefield so you only want to do it once, call into your local tile shop and have a chat with them, even the primers you use are critical, they will advise on all this.

fostyrob likes this.
  6. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

I looked at making my own and decided that an Aqua-Dec tray from IMPEY http://www.impeyshowers.com/luxury-wetrooms/wetroom-floor-formers/aqua-dec-linear-2.aspx with an integral linear drain was going to be way way easier. I also used their tanking kit for floor and the start up the walls. Once the drain was located, just a few minutes to fit and screw down the tray whereas making one from marine ply would take several hours. Overall I have the Impey tray, Hardie flooring for the rest, WaterGuard tanking and underfloor heating under the floor section. Then everything tiled ...

CGN and fillyboy like this.
  7. Steve10123

Steve10123 New Member

8. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Need to make walls good too. Extend tanking up them.

9. Steve10123

Steve10123 New Member

Will that kit do the job though?

10. Steve10123

Steve10123 New Member

11. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

That is cheap - remember that cutting costs may not be the cheapest option in the long run. Have a look at the IMPEY range I have linked to above - product and SUPPORT are first rate.

KIAB likes this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Pollowick likes this.
  13. Steve10123

Steve10123 New Member

Just been looking at them. They look good but at 2 and a half times the price it might be a bit much. I have 14 days off work and looking to rip out, re plumb, and refit a new family bathroom and ensuite on my own. :-| Hoping to buy everything today in the Black Friday sales so mad panic to try and find everything.

The one I linked above, I know its cheaper but that kit does have everything I need right?

14. Chris Pattinson

Chris Pattinson New Member

Hi Steve, did you buy the kit? I'm thinking of doing the same today, looks great value.

15. Steve10123

Steve10123 New Member

Not yet but unless someone screams "DON'T DO IT" ill probably order it later on today. Was looking at doing it myself (as suggested in the beginning of this thread) however for £120 odd for everything, its not with it.

16. Steve10123

Steve10123 New Member

Theres more on eBay too with quicker delivery (I always want everything now)

17. Chris Pattinson

Chris Pattinson New Member

18. The Teach

The Teach Active Member

wet rooms are still new here in Uk.

consider getting a turn key company to install your wet room,home insurance companies and property buyers prefer this method.in

19. Steve10123

Steve10123 New Member

I have done up my entire house without getting a single tradesman in, i'm not going to pay someone £2k now. lol

20. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Just fitted a kitchen at a friends and also helped them sort out a leaking wetroom above the kitchen. Was a real mess and had bought the kitchen ceiling down and had rotted some of the joists. From above, everything looked fine!

Really important to get it right first time so make sure the floor joists are as solid as a rock, sister up if needs be and fit extra noggins. Fit 6mm backer boards over ply as although you technically can tile into ply...its old hat now and backer boards are reasonably cheap. The tanking kit is fine, but its only a brush on one, so consider getting a proper membrane to go on the floor and lap it up the walls. Use the brush on tanking on the walls making sure they're solid and flat beforehand. If you have stud walls, then 12mm backer board is the way to go. Good luck :)