Building Control Query

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Dr Who, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Dr Who

Dr Who New Member

I have obtained all the building control certificates that have been issued against my house and there are a couple of items the previous owners did not apply for, namely the load bearing dividing wall in the living room has been opened up (I shaped steel beam inserted)

I am going to be putting in an application for a new fireplace. should the BCO come round and inspect the new works are they likely to point out that there is no approval for the wall being opened up and force me to make a retrospective application for this work?

thanks in advance,

Paul H

2. jonah.

jonah. New Member

Official answer - yes. Its a steel UB and as you say a load bearing wall so safety is the overiding issue. Building control deffinately require calculation evidence of suitability of the beam for that location. Strange that the inspector did not pick it up at the time - was it done at the time of the other works.

If you seek approval on it you will require the calculations for the beam and open up the beam for inspection of end bearing.

Cheers - jonah

3. jonah.

jonah. New Member

Sorry - ended the post a little early

Building control may not note the beam if its finished and just consider it existing. But the issue is that it is there, and you know it, without approval. For all you know it could be under designed!! I would get it included in your new application (under the same fee hopefully).

Cheers - jonah

4. Dr Who

Dr Who New Member

Thanks Jonah,

I am guessing that this was done when the kitchen was extended (circa 1976). The kitchen did have a certicate covering the extension to the kitchen, new bathroom and WC. No other information is given on the certificate apart from the above; I must admit I did expect more 'detailed' information to be present regarding exactly what had been approved.

thanks,

Dr Who

5. jonah.

jonah. New Member

Pre '85 thing were a bit lax anyway

Is there not an approved drawing showing what works are approved - clutching at straws now

Cheers - jonah

6. jonah.

jonah. New Member

If the beam has been there 30 years who am I to question its right to be there !!!!

jonah

7. trench

trench New Member

B/control can't force you to make a retrospective application unless its within 12 months of when the work was done. I doubt if he'll even comment on the lack of dividing wall to be honest

Worst case is that if you ever sell the place the issue may come up from the buyers solicitors. You could apply for a regularisation certificate then if you wished to.
    (A regularisation cert is the closest thing you will get to retrospective approval. Solicitors normally accept them tho)

8. Dr Who

Dr Who New Member

Many thanks for all your help and advice...

I have some other Building Control questions relating the installation of a new solid fuel 4kw Stove (5inch flue) in place of the existing Gas fire using an existing brick flue (1950 house).

1. If I get HETAS (like CORGI but for Solid Fuel) to install the new fire do 'I' still need to inform the BCO of the work? (i.e. in a similar way to double glazing companies being FENSA registered, where they inform the BCO of the work)?

2. If the existing brick chimney flue is in good condition and CORGI or HETAS come out to test the flue effectiveness and it passes the tests - Do I still need to line the chimney with a new liner?

Part J seems to suggest if a new flue liner is required then for solid fuel it should be twin-walled or cast in situe etc. Speaking to a CORGI engineer he was suggesting that the twin-wall liner would have to go on the outside of the house (not an option cosmetically) and various quotes range from £500 to £1000 just to fit a new liner :(

thanks again,

Paul H