Building quote- am I being conned, or do I just not get how these things work???

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by MonsterForBreakfast, Oct 5, 2022.

1. MonsterForBreakfast

MonsterForBreakfast New Member

Hi, we are having a loft conversion done right now, and they are using a small downstairs room for the stairs to go in (the stairs will turn back on themselves, so the shape of the room will work well.

The room currently has a window to the outside, but the stairs are going to go right across the window. Obviously, no-one would leave their house like that. I casually asked if they just take out the window and brick / block up the space, but then they said that blocking up the window would cost extra on top of the quote. There is going to be a window installed upstairs, so there will be plenty of natural light.

Is it entirely reasonable that they say it will cost extra (and I’m just lacking understanding about building quotes)? Or, am I being taken for a ride??

I would appreciate the opinions of as many professional builders as possible!

Thanks in advance!

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

You are asking for them to do some work ... and expect it free! Not many builders I know will work at that rate.

So, what did your original requirements or drawings say? What did the quote say?

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

If you included it in your original request, then it should have been itemised in his quote. If not then it's extra.

4. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

To be honest, this is something the builders should have already known about beforehand and mentioned to you. I'd be inclined to ask why they they didn't think of it at the time.

5. Built2last

Built2last Active Member

If I were doing a job like this I would discuss the window at the start with the customer, seems like an obvious thing to question. However if its not in the original quote it will be extra. What was the scope of tye work agreed on?

6. Ross Curtis

Ross Curtis Member

Extras cost extra, shock horror.

Unless you agreed at the start for that work it's not included in the quote.

7. Built2last

Built2last Active Member

Youre right of course, however it's not exactly the old "while you've got your drill, would you mind" extra so a reasonable enough question.

8. MonsterForBreakfast

I’ve got no problem with having to pay for ‘optional extras’. The point is, though, that they quoted for various ‘optional extras’ (such as tin hat etc), but didn’t mention anything about the ‘basically unavoidable and essential extra’ of blocking up the window which would be covered by stairs. Even I realised before the plans were drawn that the stairs would cover the window, so either they knew it too, but didn’t include it in the quote, or they overlooked it. But maybe this is just normal builders’ practice?!

9. rogerk101

It wasn't requested, so it wasn't quoted and is now an extra. No biggie.
    FWIW, my neighbours have just had a window opening created from a blank wall in order to light their staircase.
    Imagine if they had come along and blocked your window when you wanted it left there.

10. MonsterForBreakfast

AB641119-A5A5-4989-9D02-E86977F24984.png This is how it looks. You wouldnt even be able to open the window any more. Surely no-one knows anyone who would opt for this LOL!! Granted, it wouldn’t be a safety requirement to block up the window, but I have a feeling that some things they knew we would have to have, such as this, weren’t ‘included’ in the quote, in order to make the quote cheaper and get them the job in the first place, knowing I’d have to pay for it later anyway.
    Surely they should have said at the beginning, “You’ll surely want us to block up the window too. That would cost you £X extra.” I’d be totally fine with that

11. rogerk101

That's exactly what our neighbours have just had created!

12. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

As you stated above ,YOU knew before plans were even drawn up that the stairs would be in front of the window. So you should have clarified what , if anything ,was going to be done regarding the window, before even engaging them or accepting the quote.

13. MonsterForBreakfast

Well, if it looks like the grand example here, then good for them. However, my window is like the upvc one you can see. I wouldn’t even be able to get to the handle to open it. And it would look ridiculous from outside, wouldn’t you agree?

Attached Files:

14. Bob256

Bob256 Active Member

Our next door neighbour had a loft conversion a few years ago and the old landing window was left in place with the stairs going across it.

When we got the same company to do ours (notwithstanding the window, they did seem to do a good job with next door's) we were sure to specify that we wanted the landing window moving. We never saw an explicit price for it - it just got merged into the overall job.

What makes the neighbour's worse is that they had clear glass put in their landing window when it had been installed a few years earlier.

15. MonsterForBreakfast

You’re right- I should have clarified. I’ve never had building work done before and assumed that they would have included doing it. But I thought it so obviously needed to be done, that it would automatically be part of the quote. I guess the lesson is never assume anything

16. MonsterForBreakfast

Yeah, I should have been more explicit.

17. Bob256

Bob256 Active Member

Well TBH, I'm not sure I would have thought about it unless I had seen how our neighbour's ended up.

18. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

And there's the rub. If you've never done it before, how do you know? Not much help in this instance but you're going to have to put this down to experience - at least you'll know next time. I hope the project goes well for you.

19. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

I know of one house - 1870s built, where they have a large window in the side and you can see the stairs going past it. From 20metres away outside it looks fine and inside, you get used to it. The key being ensure teh strings are decent timbers ...

20. MonsterForBreakfast

Thank you!