Building Regs. Re. Plasterboard

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Simon J, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Simon J

Simon J New Member

A customer is complaining that I’ve used plasterboard in their bathroom instead of the moisture resistant plasterboard. However I’ve always used plasterboard and the bloke I used to work for has for the last 25 years used plasterboard.

I’d be interested to know peoples recent views on this issue, I know it has been discussed before. From what I can gather it’s an accepted practice to use plasterboard and for it to be tiled onto.

I can’t find any information in the building regs. regarding the use of plasterboard/moisture resistant plasterboard, and I was hoping someone could advise me if there is any such reference to this issue in the building regs.

They have mentioned that I should have skimmed the board before tiling, however I was advised not to as the tiles were very heavy (porcelain approx. 650mm x 450mm) as such was told the tiles would hold better if stuck directly to the board and not to a skim of plaster.

I’d really appreciate any comments either way as the customers are Solicitors who are trying to give me the run around and flood me with legal language.

2. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Is there a shower area or is it just general bathroom tiling?

BB

3. Simon J

Simon J New Member

I installed a shower over the bath.

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Visit the British Gypsum website, lots of useful info although they do advise waterproof plaster board in your situation:

"Whilst standard plasterboard is ideal for most environments, it shouldn't be used in constantly damp conditions. For kitchens, bathrooms and similar damp areas, Gyproc Moisture Resistant should be used. It's specially designed with silicone additives in the core so it just shrugs off water it's great as a tile backer."

http://www.british-gypsum.com/default.aspx

5. britishblue

britishblue New Member

If any water penetrates through the grout lines and get to the plasterboard it can disintegrate. I would have used Aquapanel or Hardibacker around the shower area above the bath. Having said that I have in the past tiled on normal plasterboard and even mdf in a shower area, But before grouting I did inject acrylic sealant into all the grout lines, so that if the grout failed the water wouldn't penetrate further. Not an ideal solution.

Why don't you give your customer a written guarantee that if it fails in the next five years you will come back and fix it for for free. That way, hopefully, you won't have to do anything.

BB

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Good advice from BB, what you have done is still fairly common practice, but perhaps in the future you should switch to waterproof board?

Give them a written guarantee, hopefully they will accept that.

7. Simon J

Simon J New Member

What's frustrating is that is appears to be such common practice to use plasterboard in bathrooms. I've spoken to a few guys locally who use nothing else.

I went to a Redrow new housing estate recently and in their bathrooms they have used normal plasterboard. Is it a common practice with the major builders?

8. britishblue

britishblue New Member

The major housebuilders use the cheapest materials that they can get away with. They also install the minimum number of socket outlets.

BB

9. Zorro

Zorro New Member

Foil backed platerboard i.e. Water Resistant board should always be used in any bathroom environment. Also, at least a thin skim of board finish should be applied on every occassion.

No if's and but's. I know this for a fact because all of my family come from a building background and my grandad is a former Building Inspector. Amazing what you can learn.

10. Zorro

Zorro New Member

The major housebuilders use the cheapest materials
    that they can get away with. They also install the
    minimum number of socket outlets.

BB

I agree.

11. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I agree it's still very common practice - did you and your clint agree any spec ( verbal/written) before commencing?

12. r2d2

r2d2 New Member

Why don't you give your customer a written guarantee that if it fails in the next five years you will come back and fix it for for free.

Doing this is an admission that the wrong product has been used. :(

13. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Foil backed platerboard i.e. Water Resistant board should always be used in any bathroom environment

Surely foil backed board just keeps the moisture in the room and in the board. Wouldn't the green moisture resistant board be better?

Having said that - i have just built some new build flats and neither the BCO or NHBC had any comment about using ordinary wallboard in the bathrooms. It said wallboard on the drawings that got approved too - so i can only assume that there is no specific regulation concerning this.

Might be wrong though - does anyone know different?

14. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

I worked for Dolphin bathrooms up until May this year, I had to use ordinary 12m/m plasterboard, the only time you ever got a waterproofing kit was when there were mosaics involved and we were told to pva everything.

15. norestforthewicked

norestforthewicked New Member

Building regs don't cover this, but good workmanship does.
    AquaPanel or Hardibacker board is by for the best way to go in wet areas, i.e. a shower enclosure and around a bath. I would go so far as to say that you should also put it around a basin.
    Unlike plaster board, these two don't lose their structure when wet, plaster board does very much so. How many times have you been to houses where the builder has used plaster board in a wet area, and water has got through the grout or sealants and has perished the board??
    Neither of these are new products, you should know about these things, where have you been living and how long have you ignored this!
    You where right not to plaster the boards, once skimmed the capacity plaster board can hold per sq meter is almost halved, so at least you got something right!

16. Simon J

Simon J New Member

Thanks for all the comments.

I noted in my quotation that I would be using plasterboard.

I've heard of all these types of moisture resistant boards but I was trained by a time served builder who always said that plasterboard was fine.

Glad I was right about the skimming though, the tiles were well heavy!

17. norestforthewicked

Never PVA plaster or plaster board before tiling,
    This is a big No No!!!

18. Simon J

Simon J New Member

I know the PVA issue has been debated before on this site, there's so many mixed opinions of you should/ should not PVA.

What's your opinion norestforthewicked?

19. norestforthewicked

Never PVA anything you are going to tile on. The PVA acts as a barrier between the tile and the surface you want to fix to. It prevents the tile adhesive from forming a bond between the tile and the tilebacker board/plaster board/timber/ plastered wall etc.
    If you want to prepare an area for tiling you should use a suitable primer, like BAL's. Purpose made.

20. r2d2

r2d2 New Member

The green Gyproc plasterboard is for use in wet areas and suitable for tiling in wet areas and is certified to BS 1230;part 1; 1985 Type 3&4.

Well I dont have anything as elaborate in my bathroom. Just ordinary cheap plasterboard , skimmed and tiled over , all around the bath with a mixer tap showerhead fitted.
    No ventilation in the bathroom either so you have nice damp walls. Bit like a sauna really whan you run a good hot bath.
    Installed and fitted 26 years ago and still as good as the first day. :)