Building regulations UK – Fire resistant door for a reception room?

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by DLS, Jul 31, 2021.

1. DLS

DLS New Member

Hi,

I live in a Victorian detached house with a loft conversation. I am about to extend our back reception/garden room with a single-story extension with the usually bi-fold doors (no kitchen just a room).

Our architect said I must use a fire resistant door from hallway into this room because we have a loft conversation.

Is this a legal requirement as the room will not contain a kitchen and there are 3 external doors on the ground floor and a Juliet balcony with external doors on the first floor which offer several fire escape routes?

Thank you in advance.

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

Ask your architect to provide you with the specific reference in the building regulations. That’s what you are paying him for!!

btw from member I think he is right but better to get him to earn his money to provide the reference

3. Starslikedust

Starslikedust Member

The fire door is to protect the escape route used to leave the building from upstairs, so presumably your hallway. Imagine if there was a fire in the garden room. How would you escape from the rest of the building?

4. DLS

DLS New Member

Thank you for your responses and I will definitely ask my architect for the specific reference :)

I do understand it is better to have fire resistant internal doors than not, and even why you have them on a kitchen or a door which blocks your escape route. I do take the risk of fire seriously, we have mains connected smoke alarms in every room and our main escape route is the front door which is a lot closer to the stairs and the external balcony doors on the first floor if the ground floor was on fire.

The reason I don't want to forced to install a fire resistant door is cost and light, I was hoping to install a glass door like we have on the front reception room to allow light into the long, narrow and dark Victorian hallway. We have been quoted thousands of pounds for a glass fire door.