Building shed close to existing oil tank

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by ConfusedinNI, Jan 20, 2021.

1. ConfusedinNI

ConfusedinNI New Member

Hi folks

I have searched and searched but can't find a clear answer to this question. Hopefully someone can help.

Our garden, like most, has an existing oil tank in the back corner.

My question is... how close can we erect a new wooden workshop to that tank? I know there's a 1.8m minimum to non-fireproof structures when it comes to installing a new tank, but does this also apply when erecting a structure beside an oil tank that has been there for years?

It's severely limiting the new workshop size I can put in the garden so really important I get a definitive answer.

Thank you in advance,

Colin

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I'm not saying I would do it, but I've seen people build wooden sheds to house their oil tanks! I guess their thinking is that a shed is less of an eye-sore than an oil tank. Or maybe it's to stop the thieves being able to identify the oil tank and then come along on a dark and rainy night and empty it.

3. Okoak

Okoak Active Member

I don't know the answer, but my own shed is virtually touching the oil tank. But more to the point, are the shed Gestapo going to come round and start measuring things? I would suggest not.

4. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The regulations only apply to an oil tank installation, a regulated procedure. Erecting a wooden shed is not regulated.

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  5. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

The work to erect a timber shed may be exempt from B Regs, however it must not result in the oil tank being any less compliant.
    "An alteration is material for the purposes of these Regulations if the work, or any part of it, would at any stage result—"
    "In a building or controlled service or fitting which before the work commenced did not comply with a relevant requirement, being more unsatisfactory in relation to such a requirement."
    refer to table 10, Approved Doc J for guidance on requirements.
    https://assets.publishing.service.g...ds/attachment_data/file/468872/ADJ_LOCKED.pdf
    Strictly speaking this would be controllable under B Regs as a "material alteration", though I've never seen any as I usually wear a set of blinkers in such situations when inspecting any other work!

6. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

A friend recently built a workshop next to his oil tank and to comply, he had to construct a fire-proof barrier.
    The theory is, if the building catches fire it spreads to the tank. Obviously a standalone fence doesn't pose that risk, but there is still a (less strict) minimum distance.

"A wider known but less practical way to install your oil tank within 1.8 meters of a building is to use an external non-combustible fire barrier with at least 30 minutes fire resistance. Externally constructed fire barriers are required to extend at least 300mm higher and wider than any part of the tank. This is to ensure that the barrier completely interposes itself between the tank and any part of the building. The oil tank must be installed at least 300mm away from the barrier to allow tank inspection access."

https://www.tuffa.co.uk/blog/an-expert-guide-to-fire-rated-oil-tanks/

7. ConfusedinNI

ConfusedinNI New Member

Great, thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like I'm snookered, unless I go down the expensive fire barrier option. Not the news I wanted to hear but it confirms my position.

I'm self employed and work from the workshop, so I definitely want to be sure that I comply for insurance reasons.

8. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

Thats actually in table 10 of the approved doc I linked.

9. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Not sure on regs but you could possibly make the adjacent wall itself from non-combustible material.

10. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

If you had mentioned that my reply would have been different. I envisaged a shed with garden tools in it.

11. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

This is one of the options in table 10.