Building some fancy lit shelving

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Olimain, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Olimain

Olimain Member

Thanks for all the replies - I think this is going to happen, just finalising the design and don't worry I'll be sure to provide updates and photos for a giggle!

2. Olimain

Olimain Member

OK so a busy few days and I admit to doing something that I would normally never do - that is ask some pros for advice (you lot!) then ignore it. Reasons being a) I had timber, plasterboard and multi finish to use up and b) my design was a lot simpler than the one in the original photo as I had less space.

So apologies for that but I'm pretty pleased with the results - just need to finish the electrics:

IMG_2584.JPG

Then move radiator, skim and paint:

IMG_2653.JPG

3. :D

Woooooo - when you get results like that, feel free to ignore everyone else :D

Have to admit, I initially thought you were an inexperienced DIYer who had great ideas but not the skills to put them into practice.

I was wrong :D

No wonder you're chuffed :)

tore81 likes this.
  4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

One criticism - didn't finish the beer ?

5. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

he did, but he now walks about with two brushes stuck to his suit trouser bottom

Olimain and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  6. Olimain

Olimain Member

Haha.

Just need to find some suitable (shallow) downlights now. I had bought some but they have a 60 degree beam and a lighting guru says I need more like 10-15 degrees!

7. Make them LED if possible - the heat given out by halogens can be quite scary (thinking of anything in these smaller recesses which will get cooked...)

8. Olimain

Olimain Member

9. You might also want to consider dimmable.

If they'll be orn at full brightness, they could be distracting - especially if there's a TV in that room.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

How are you going to get them to stay in the holes?

11. Olimain

Olimain Member

How do you mean? Like all down lighters I assume-the sprung wings

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

That only fit in PB.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I mentioned this in #4.

14. Olimain

Olimain Member

Ohh right no I built it like this leaving voids for the lighting:

pb.png

15. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I doubt if they could be wired in now, looks like the cable is already in and trying to pull those cables through now would be a mare!

You may need to look for this style
    https://www.ledhut.co.uk/spot-lights/ceiling-lights/6-watt-led-downlight.html

The wattage on these particular ones is probably too high, but they are only 12.5mm thick so sit inside the thickness of the plasterboard. The traditional style would need about 80+mm of space inside the "shelf" to fit and I assume your timber is sitting in there? Although obviously hard to tell from your images how you constructed it under the plasterboard

16. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Just looked at those LED's not sure you would know 82 lumen lights were actually on, would go for something a bit higher and dimmable so you can control it that way

17. Olimain

Olimain Member

Who knew downlights could be such a minefield! This could be the second lot I have to return after the first lot had too wide an angle! It's constructed in a way that I can easily pull the cables back through, plenty of slack to do so either way should I need to.

Dimmable seems tricky as the drivers all seem to be bigger than the 44mm cutouts so I'm not sure where I could hide one. These aren't designed to light the room, just to cast some lighting on pictures or ornaments so I thought the less the better?

18. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

will you be taking advice? if not here are some options:

arc welder
    pitch floodlight
    candles
    strobe light
    fireflies in a cage
    mobile on flashlight setting

19. Olimain

Olimain Member

Option 5 would be preferred, something for the children to play with when they're bored