Built in oven ventilation under worktop

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Confusedagainandagain, Dec 15, 2016.

1. just had a new kitchen fitted and now worried that the single electric oven has been fitted incorrectly. It is fitted completely into the unit with no gap between it and the worktop ( drawers underneath). Concerned that if this is wrong what else might be? .... Any advice please.

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Pics?

3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Its fine, from what I can understand of your question

4. Thanks for replies and sorry if the question's not clear. Also afraid I can't get decent enough pics, Basically I want to know if there should be a ventilation gap between the top of the oven (where the control panel is) and the worktop as it currently sits flush on top.

5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

It will be fine, the design of the oven will leave a 20mm or so gap at the top and most of the heat will dissipate out the back.
    Turn the oven on full blast, everything, leave it half an hour, let us know what happened

6. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

You may well find that your built in oven has an 'overrun' fan. When the oven housing is hot, the fan cuts in to cool the housing. The vents are between the top of the oven door and the built in control panel. The gap on mine is just 5mm or so. When the oven is switched off at the control panel, the overrun fan continues to run and cool for quite a while (10 to 15 minutes ?) Do not switch the oven off at the cooker isolator switch until the fan has powered itself off.

wiggy likes this.
  7. Thanks. Will try leaving on for 1/2 hour this evening. What should I be looking out for please wiggy? There is a gap between the oven and the control panel so maybe this covers it? I just know that my old oven had a (dirt trap) gap of around 10mm so find it strange that there's nothing at all.

8. Hi Con.

When you turn on yer oven., can you feel a draught coming oot that very top edge of your oven, chust below the actual oven's frame? That's your vent gap.

If a physical opening was left betwixt the actual whole oven and the underside of the worktop, it would look very pants indeed.

Your oven came with installation and operational booklets? Cool - have a read of the former.

9. Hi again,
    So I've left the oven on high for 1hour and nothing's happened apart from it still smells like it did first time it was used. Fan didn't stay on after oven was turned off but I could feel warm air out of the vent between control panel and oven while it was running. Also tried the built in grill and again pretty horrible smell though this was the first time this has been used. Instructions look like it should have a 5mm gap before the worktop though and also 60cm2 at the bottom along with removal of false back which I've no idea about as I wasn't watching over their shoulder. As I'm obviously no expert I don't want to go all guns blazing into disputing the fit as we're otherwise happy. Should I just relax about it or question do you think?
    Thanks

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Just chill out, relax and make sure you have the fire brigade on speed dial! :D

11. Con, there is usually little room for error when fitting these ovens as they are a standard size, I'm guessing your single oven has a décor panel below the oven but above the bottom plinth? In which case that's where the oven has to sit, so almost certainly it'll have any required gap at the top.

If you post the make & model of the oven along with a face-on photo of your oven in situ, we should be able to reassure you further. Or not.

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

What make / model is the cooker ?

Oven don't normally vent through the top as that would be a fire risk to cabinets and worktops
    Some models draw air through the back and out through the front and vice versa. So it may be vented that way.