Built in toilet wont flush!! Help

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by jonny19811981, Jul 5, 2014.

1. jonny19811981

jonny19811981 New Member

Clue is in the title really. I have a built in toilet that's not flushing. I suppose the obvious thing would be to just look at it but as its built in its a bit more tricky! Anyone have experience of this? Thanks

2. Hi Jonny
    First things first. I presume as its built in then it is a concealed cistern is that correct?
    If so do you know if its push button pneumatic or cable operation, or is it handle flush?
    To know the type of mechanism you have is to understand how to help you

Russ

3. jonny19811981

jonny19811981 New Member

HI Russ

Thanks for your reply.

Its all in-built and its a button operated flushing device.

4. jonny19811981

jonny19811981 New Member

And concealed. ...

5. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

If it's a push button there are two types, cable or pneumatic.
    When you push the button is there any resistance?

6. jonny19811981

jonny19811981 New Member

A bit yeah maybe a little less than normal....

7. plumberboy

Pop the button out,if there is a tube attached pull it off the button and blow down it,did the toilet flush.If it did you need a new button as the bellow is split.
    If you have a cable type you will more than likely need a whole new flush mechanism.;)

8. jonny19811981

jonny19811981 New Member

Ok cool. Blowing down the pipe seems to flush the toilet.....so I need a new button. Is this something I can order over the internet and fit myself or will I need to go to a plumbers merchant? Thanks

9. plumberboy

Just go to your local plumbers merchant.

10. jonny19811981

jonny19811981 New Member

Ok thanks. Will need the model number etc or are they universal?

11. plumberboy

Take old one with you they will match it up for you.;)

12. jonny19811981

jonny19811981 New Member

Thats great thank you both for all your help!

13. jillian pepper

jillian pepper New Member

Hi, first day on this site so sorry if I'm not supposed to jump in on someone else's question. So if there was no resistance and blowing down the pipe did nothing - what then?

14. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

The flushing valve may be broken or, if there's no resistance, the other end of the pipe may have come off its fitting on the flushing valve, or the fitting itself snapped off the valve.

Dudley Vantage pneumatic syphons seem to be prone to this after a few year's of use.

Please post some specific details regarding your problem or start a new topic for it if you wish. Thanks.

15. jillian pepper

jillian pepper New Member

Hi Joe, sorry for the delay.
    Both of the pipes seem securely attached both ends. I turned the water off at the on-line stop cock and then turned the green thing anti-clockwise which released it and caused the water to flow into the pan. I tried to examine the apparatus for worn washers etc but found I didnt have enough space to wriggle it out of the gap, whichever angle I tried. I replaced it into its slot, turned the water back on, which filled the tank but of course did nothing to resolve the problem. Am I missing a trick somewhere? I'm assuming the fault is on this "green thing" somwhere - but how am I to repair/replace it if I cant get the damn thing out?
    Jill

Attached Files:

16. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Hi Jill, if it's a Dudley Vantage cistern (it sounds like it with the green flushing valve), you usually have to remove the filling valve to make room to remove it.

It's still a squeeze but it can be done. I normally undo the flexible connector at its chromed nut on the filling valve and then you have to release the plastic fitting holding the filling valve onto the back of the cistern.

I imagine there will be a YouTube video about the Dudley Vantage somewhere if you have a hunt (I'm on my phone with a poor signal so can't easily hunt for one).