Bulky brass pipe under sink

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by rodrialcazar, Jul 24, 2021.

  1. rodrialcazar

    rodrialcazar New Member

    Hello everyone,

    We will be installing a new kitchen and would like to simplify somehow the piping under the sink (see attached pic for what we currently have).

    The brass pipe in the pic controls the water in the house and also an outdoor tap, but it's very bulky and takes up most of the space below the sink (I've never had one like this in my previous houses). Is there any way of making it less intrusive, move it to another place (to the back of the cabinet? in a kitchen corner? in the cupboard under stairs?), or replace it for something that takes up less space?

    Any suggestions or ideas would be much welcomed.

    Many thanks.

    Attached Files:

  2. Jimbo

    Jimbo Screwfix Select

    That is your main supply stop-tap. What are you floors made of?
    rodrialcazar likes this.
  3. rodrialcazar

    rodrialcazar New Member

    Timber I believe, we're replacing the kitchen flooring for one of those click lock vynil laminates. Is it common or possible to put the main supply stop-tap below it?
  4. spirits are real 2016

    spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

    If you can isolate the water in the main street and you can access the plumbing below yes a plumber could change the layout of the pipes..
    rodrialcazar likes this.
  5. rodrialcazar

    rodrialcazar New Member

    Great. Any ideas on where to move the pipes? Where would they most commonly be located?
  6. Jimbo

    Jimbo Screwfix Select

    It needs to be accessible in case there is a burst pipe or other spill in future. So either run it up the wall at the back of the cupboard or maybe fit a horizontally mounted valve under the cupboard and fit an access panel to the base of the cupboard like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Surface-White-Plastic-Access-Inpsection/dp/B073ZJGKJ8

    Either way, I'd fit a full-bore lever valve as these are quicker and easier to use and less likely to to seize up.
    rodrialcazar likes this.
  7. rodrialcazar

    rodrialcazar New Member

    Brilliant, thanks for the advice, Jimbo. So apart from the valve, do you think that the whole stop-tap pipe can be changed to something simpler that doesn't need so many holes in the undersink cabinet? Any pictures or links would help a lot.

  8. pppmacca43

    pppmacca43 Super Member

    No reason why if the mains can be turned off in the street then the pipe can be cut below the valve and the pipes be moved to the back wall, and come through the back of the unit. Probably be able to do the same with the waste pipe to if u wanted. A plumber will be able to do that easy for you.
  9. stevie22

    stevie22 Screwfix Select

    Fit a 1/4 turn isolating valve instead of the stopcock and make sure all the family know where it is and how to turn the water off.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice