Bull nose worktops and curves possible?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Shaun G, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Shaun G

Shaun G Member

I have been looking around google and found a few articles that bullnose worktops cannot be used for curved worktops, is this true? If it is, would it be possible to shave off the bullnose so it is straight and then curve? Just want some advice on this please.

thanks

2. spen123

spen123 Active Member

Yes its possible but it looks awful.

Shaun G and just pumps like this.
  3. Shaun G

Shaun G Member

Have you seen any done like this?

4. spen123

spen123 Active Member

I assume you mean for a curved base unit?

5. Shaun G

Shaun G Member

Yes mate

6. spen123

spen123 Active Member

Yes I've done a few and I think it looks awful.
    Your going from bull nose to square to bull nose and the finish just isn't good.
    I've not had complaints from.customers this is just a personal opinion.
    If your going to curve a worktop then use square edge.

Shaun G likes this.
  7. Shaun G

Shaun G Member

Ok. As i asked in the first post is it possible to shave off the front so it now becomes square and wrap around the whole thing with edging? This will be a 300 breakfast bar so no need for the full width. I ask as i have an offcut big enough with a bullnose

8. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

If you’re talking about cutting off the entire bullnose front edge to make it square, then edge-banding the whole face - then yes. You’ll need a £2500 Festool KA65 Conturo continuous edge-banding machine to do it, plus a trim router with a flush-cutting laminate bit to make it look like it isn’t a bodge………Unless you don’t mind a bunch of visible joints where you’ve glued your metre-long lengths of banding together along the edges.

Don’t you think that your kitchen will look peculiar with some worktops bullnose and some bits square?

9. Shaun G

Shaun G Member

Yes, however i have already installed the bullnose worktop, so for the breakfast bar to work it has to be square edge, how does one get over this problem?

10. spen123

spen123 Active Member

If your going to ďo it then you need a router preferably on a guide rail or track or a long straight edge.
    Cut the bull nose off with a circular saw face down.
    Do a pass with a router.

This will give a clean square edge.
    You can get long edging strip so you won't have a join.
    You'll need a string adhesive and patients.
    Then you'll need to use a trim router to remove excess material.
    Good luck

Shaun G likes this.
  11. Shaun G

Shaun G Member

Would you think this would turn out ok? Just interested in your genuine opinion. Or have you ever seen mixed worktops in a kitchen square & bullnose? Does it look stupid if you have?

cheers

12. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

No I don’t.
    Yes I have.
    Yes it does.

But it’s your kitchen, your personal taste, and your time. Only you can really make the call.