Bungalow conversion to house

Discussion in 'Job Talk' started by sekharsoftware, Apr 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. sekharsoftware

sekharsoftware New Member

Hi there,

I have a mid 80's bungalow which I am thinking of converting to a house to add 3 or 4 bed rooms on the top. The bungalow has already a stair case and a bed room on the top but it needs a proper house conversion. Could anyone suggest how much it would cost me roughly for this conversion.

- There are other nearer bungalows converted on my street, so, I am pretty sure I planning permission is not an issue.
    - I am not sure how deep the foundations are but the bungalow is mid 80's.
    - There is a staircase and a big on-suit bedroom upstairs.
    - Area upstairs is 130 sqm.

I saw other posts suggesting to demolish and rebuild but the bungalow is not that old to demolish.

Could you please suggest how much it would roughly cost me!!

Many thanks,
    Raj

2. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could always go timber frame for first floor & skin with facing bricks,render, or whatever finish your going to use, seen a few done that way.

But, sometimes it's better to flatten it, & build from scratch, all depends on the bunalow, it's orientation, internal layout( small rooms, bad rooms layout), the plot, & how/where the bungalow sits within the plot.
    Sometimes a bungalow sits well forward in a plot, so you have a small front garden & a large rear garden, so moving it back a bit, to give better off road parking, etc, is the better option.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

£45,000 - £50,000 !

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

About right, all depends on the standard of fittings, etc.

Also good idea to have a contingency fund for any unforeseen extra work that might surprise you.

6. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Plus extras!!!

7. sekharsoftware

Thanks for your replies. Two very different cost estimates from 173k(metrokitchens) to 50k(astramax).
    Does the 50k estimate include any underpinning (I am not even sure if its required).

I like the current layout of the ground floor but the staircase has to be moved to some other place. Reasonable space in the front and the back garden.

Thanks

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Contingency fund for underpinning.(uplanned expenses).

9. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

You'd probably have to get the founds looked at. Bungalows don't require larger foundations than typical two up two down houses. Your present foundations might not be up to the job of supporting double the load on them. ;);)

10. Metro's quote had presumably the desired result - my supper is all over the computer screen :oops:

Astra's quote? Blimey, I wish. That strikes me as being way too cheap - surely? A full conversion, with 3-4 bedrooms, fully finished?

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's not that large, timber frame extension,a bit out of touch with prices,but I would think possible, but as I said & JJ, it all depends on the exsisting foundations for the extra loading.

If it needs underpinning, then I would flatten it, as the cost of underpinning can mount up.

12. sekharsoftware

If I flatten it and rebuild it it would cost me 250k+ at least which is much more than all the estimate above. how is that better option?

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

100k +

14. I was thinking in that ballpark, CGN - certainly approaching £100k, and almost certainly in excess of this once it's fully fitted and decorated.

What the OP has in mind is a complete revamping of the upper floor - roof off, walls upski, new roof on.

Then there's fenistration, leccy, plumbing, soil waste, walls, floors, and lots and lots of 'stuff'.

CGN likes this.
  15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I helped out my bro in laws firm a couple of years back on a similar project. Quite a big job when you get down to the nitty gritty, although this included pretty much a total refurb of the whole property from what I remember. Ill see if I can get some numbers...

16. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Crikey, for an ex English teacher, I thought you'd know how to spell fenestration DA. (yep I too can be just as pedantic) :D:D:D

KIAB likes this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Classic...:)

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's at least 30 years old,& materials & building standards have improved since then,better double/tripple glazed windows, better insulation, even underfloor heating has advanced alot in that time.
    Remember your 1st floor extension will need to meet current building regs requirements, primarily airtightness and thermal insulation,then add in other costs, structural engineer,etc, most likely will need underpinning,even with a light timber framed extension your going to struggle with current foundations & loadings I suspect.

Money spent upgrading present bungalow,could be better spent on building a new house.

19. It was, um, late and I was, er, tired, and I - I mean - it was deliberate 'cos I wanted to test you and, um...YOU PEAR OF BAR STEWARDS... :oops:

20. It's a better option only if the final house's price justifies that outlay.

OK, it's also a better option for all the points KIAB says above, plus you'll have the house design you want.

I simply cannot see it being justified, tho', unless you can ultimately recover that total outlay (original house price + new build) if/when you sell on.

Should you decide to convert instead, it should be easy to check the house's foundations and every chance they'll be fine. Tho', obviously, also a chance they won't, so that significant - but not insurmountable - cost will need factoring in...

Two houses down from us used to be a smaller (I think only 2 bed) version of our bungalow, and probably built around the same time - late '30s/ 40s. A retired couple moved in a few years ago, paying a numbingly high price (~£320k - it's the vooo, you sea) and wanted to extend into the roof. The quotes they received were in the order of £100k+ which they felt was high but were considering until a visiting relative/family friend suggested they knock it down and start again. He reckoned it'd cost them less that twice the conversion price - ~£180K - but would give them their dream house built to a very high spec.

They went for this option and it ended up costing them more like £220k, but they did have stunning solid oak flooring in the through-lounge, marble in the very hi-spec kitchen etc - really nicely done. And it was warm even without any heating on... 3-bed, and all very nicely done.

Once they'd committed to it, I kept reassuring them they'd made the right decision as it was likely to be their last home and it would be everything they wanted - literally their dream home. At the same time I couldn't help reeling from the simple fact they'd paid over the odds for the original house, so the total bill must have been around £550k!

Last year they decided to move to a nearby village so put it on the market. I was wondering how they could cope with the financial loss - until I saw it in the paper for £625k...

And it sold within a fortnight.

The world's gorn nuts.