buried and forgotten

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by tetleyman, Mar 18, 2011.

1. tetleyman

tetleyman New Member

Well thats what the Japs are going to do clever people these nucular boffins, i do not think,who in there right mind would build a nuculer plant in a earth quake zone ,save the planet but blow up the world doing it.

2. MrGrimNasty

MrGrimNasty New Member

Don't worry, they've got a glowing future.

3. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

That particular plant has long been criticised for poor design and vulnerability  - apparently.

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Why is it that people think nuclear power plants can explode, just like an atomic bomb?. Simple answer is there's no chance at all of a nuclear explosion.
    What's the alternative ? If we don't embrace nuclear power generation, we'll soon be sitting reading the wallpaper via candlelight. T'internet will be closed., there certainly will be nothing on the TV. You'll have to go shopping every day as there will be no power to run fridges and freezers. Washing will mean a trip to the local river or stream to bash your washing against a rock.
    Hmmmmmm

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

"Why is it that people think nuclear power plants can explode, just like an atomic bomb?.
    Simple answer is there's no chance at all of a nuclear explosion."

Don't be too sure. Pent in heat(especially that much), ya know.

Heck, a flipping water heater can explode, and what temp do you think that is at ?

Keep watching(and praying).

And what a bunch of clever(not) people they are(apart from building the sites on KNOWN fault lines etc)!

No water ? They are 50 metres from the sea. Water companies pump water for miles.

Why not draft in a pump from elsewhere(petrol/diesel driven) ?

Who could have guessed that dropping water from helicopters wouldn't work ? Well a few million people with more than half a brain would.

Isn't it just another case of the best brains in the world, NOT having common sense and practical abilities ?

Total shambles.

I despair - really.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. joinerjohn1

Handy, nuclear reactors can't actually cause a nuclear explosion (as in like a nuclear bomb). They can as you have pointed out, burst under the enormous pressure. The worst they can do is to go into total meltdown whereby, the uranuim or plutonium , melts and burns it's way through the containment vessel and into the ground below.
    I agree with you about the dropping of the water though, a seemingly futile effort.
    Anyway, the US have offered to send some Nuclear Experts over to help. Mind you, last time the Yanks sent nuclear experts to Japan, over 105,000 people died. ;)

7. Death

Death New Member

The forum should club together and send Handrew to Fukashima or whatever else he has a yen for.

Gotta feel sorry for the shima though, innit.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I like that, the 'yen' bit. Very good.

Feel sorry for the Japanese innocent, not the shima. The shima is the island the reactors are on. That can sink for all I care.

Maybe if God is listening, he could make a localised earthquake and drop the whole site down a big hole(when all the workers are down the pub for lunch, obviously).

Whichever way you look at it, and how often(now and in the past) experts have said how safe nuclear work is, a danger has been introduced(and is not over yet), and the way I see it, could have been prevented(notwithstanding the quake and tsunami).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. joinerjohn1

I reckon it will end with a total meltdown of reactor No2. The green brigade will have a field day telling us all that nuclear power isn't safe and we should invest now in windfarms etc.
    In 30yrs time when we're sat round a candle, we'll be wondering why we ever listened to Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth.

10. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

I've always been a great believer in Nuclear Power, it's such a clean and efficient form - and, after all, it can't be uninvented now that it's here, can it?

I'm not such a believer, though but, in some of the twits who decide to grant permission for building these installation on dodgy sites.........

Lucia x

11. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

The Frenchies have it right: they rely on N power for most of their requirement, but they have had the sense to build their stations on the seashore where there's plenty of cooling water......

In their discussions on N Power during the 50's - 60's, according to the minutes of a convention held in Lille in 1956:  It was noted that the prevailing wind of the costal region of La France was in a West by NorWest direction therby taking any 'fallout' not in the direction of Paris,but in the direction of Sunderland and Newcastle.

The French aren't that well known for their gratitude...............

Lucia.