Burning wood

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Kieron, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Kieron

Kieron New Member

anyone burnt wood and sanded it down to get an old feel. If so - how do you get the best results, or is it as simple as I've suggested - probably not

2. ferrari

ferrari New Member

Nearly as easy as it sounds!! Gentle application of blow torch (DO IT OUTSIDE!!) followed by either wire brushing (power or hand) or glass paper.A couple of coats of clear acrylic varnish and job done.

3. Nigel

Nigel New Member

For finer burns use a soldering iron.

4. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

The bigger the blow torch the better and DO NOT let the torch stay in one place for any length of time or you will find that to 'patch' the over burnt area you will have to re heat the surrounding areas and then you will have to re heat the surrounding areas of the surrounding areas.... You get my point I'm sure. Remember it is easier to burn it more than it is to burn it less. When you wire brush first use a new one as it has nice straight bristles and do it only with the appropriate pressure to remove the carbonisation and open up the grain and obviously only along the grain. Once its done then gently sand and I mean very gently (hand <u>not</u> power tool) sand it just to remove any loose carbonisation and then use a wool buffer in a drill and some sawdust, damp the buffer and dip it in the sawdust and go over the timber this will burnish it and give it that authentic 'olde worlde' look. It take a bit of time but the finish is exceptional and when it's viewed from that day on the comments are always of admiration.
    It sometimes benefits with an oil treatment but this is subjective and oak looks fantastic when this is done subtly
    PS If you do this in your garage ensure ventilation and switch off the smoke detectors and always have an extinguisher close at hand.