Burns Night

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by WildCat, Jan 25, 2024.

1. WildCat

WildCat Well-Known Member

I've been out hunting wild haggis but there don't seem to be any in Bucks so I'll probably have to buy a farmed one from the supermarket.

But my question is what red wine goes best with haggis, or do you go for whisky?

2. PaintersWillSortIt

PaintersWillSortIt Active Member

Have never heard of wine being used to gravy a haggis.

Tuxmark2 likes this.
  3. RegB

RegB Active Member

It's not gourmet stuff of any description. Wash it down with beer. Try McEwans Champion Ale ("No 1") (Lidl, Tesco), Nigerian Guinness (Tesco, Asda), or if you want something Scottish, Belhaven Scottish oat stout if you can find it. I'd probably go for No. 1.

4. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Best wine for Haggis is Barley Wine - Fullers made an excellent one. Followed with a glass or three of Speyside's finest.

Don't forget the Skirlie and balck pudding either.

I managed to get a picture of a Haggis family a few years back:

upload_2024-1-25_10-41-10.png

5. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Some people get upset, after asking for a leg they are given a short one, rather than the heavier long one.

WildCat likes this.
  6. FlyByNight

Someone who obviously understand the two genetic variation - Clockwise and Anti-clockwise.

arrow likes this.
  7. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

You wont find Haggis that south of the border at this time of year, they move up to the hills in December for the mating season, if you do get a farmed one its best consumed with a good whiskey and plenty of it.

This is for the traditional burns night, not the alternative burns night that happens through out the year as a consequence of sellotaping joints in electrical circuits, not taking note of connections in light fittings before removing the original, using 2.5 cable where 25mm is the bare minimum and finding out there is a thing called safe zones only after doing a bit of drilling in the kitchen.

For these events it is traditional to take whiskey after the repair bill has arrived.

WildCat likes this.
  8. FlyByNight

You need to wash you mouth out. What self-respecting Scot would ever consider drinking whiskey? It is only useful for stripping paint.

Tuxmark2 likes this.
  9. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Is the use of Irish Whiskey because it is farmed. Do you use Scottish Whisky for the wild ones?

DBCDIY likes this.
  10. WildCat

WildCat Well-Known Member

Is there any difference between a left leg from a clockwise one and a right leg from an anti-clockwise one?

11. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

I'm not a scot, I'm far to much of a tight a##se.

12. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

Mines not Scottish nor Irish, its sort of between both and bourbon, well that is the way it comes from the copper thing in my shed..:D

13. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

There's a shortage of Haggis mainly brought about by the interbreeding of the long left and long right leg variants as they meet on their migration round the slopes of the hills. This third variant has either long back legs or long rear legs which give the Haggis either the ability to ascend or descend slopes, but not both. This has the unfortunate effect of isolating each of this variant either at the top or bottom of the hill, the resultant interbreeding of the long front or long rear leg variant has led to genetic weaknesses leading to high infant mortality. Is it April 1st yet?

14. FlyByNight

That is when hunting them stops and the mating season begins.

15. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

I hate those deviants, when I go shooting with my new apprentice hound, these play havoc with him, once panicked by the blanks I fire off, they tend to go around in circles and sort of screw themselves in to the ground, my hound by then is at full speed and overshoots the run, missing them, hound becomes confused and looses interest, there is nothing worse than a hunting dog that's hyped up and comes back with nowt.

The sports being ruined, greedy breeders trying to make fast money at hunting season by allowing inbreeding should be made illegal but its the world we live in, everyone and his dog, except mine is after a fast buck.