Burnt out shower pull cord

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Joe-Ann, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Joe-Ann

Joe-Ann New Member

Our shower stopped working and an electrician attended and said we needed to change the shower to a mixer type. I am hesitant because if heating goes no shower plus cost of getting hot water feed. Can anyone help me answer the questions he dismissed please? If the cable is wrong, how expensive/easy would it be to upgrade the cable so we can just get a replacement electric shower? Also, I've seen some posts on here that say burnt out pull cords are always because of loose wiring. so I'm confused - is it because cable is wrong or loose wiring? Can someone also confirm whether you can have a cut off switch as well as a pull cord? I've lived in the house 25 years and I know categorically that when visitors use the wrong switch outside the bathroom door (thinking it is a light switch) it stops the shower working. When I mentioned this to electrician before he came round to look he said I was wrong and when I asked him when he visited he still said I was wrong. I'm confused as clearly I do know that this has happened on numerous occasions. There is a pull cord that we have never used but I assumed was switched on. When I tried to pull it before he came round it wouldn't move and he showed me a photo of it burnt out after he had looked at it. We have struggled getting a reliable electrician over the years. The one that came round was highly recommended on local facebook group. However fact that he dismissed what I said about the switch and wouldn't answer the question re replacing cable and only recommended one option to put a mixer shower in which requires substantial costly work doesn't fill me with confidence. Thank you for your help.

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

well not answering your questions is not helpful is it. Post up some pictures of the pull cord switch, the switch outside of your bathroom and your fuesbox including the MCB covering the shower and your RCD within the board. We can go from there

3. Joe-Ann

Joe-Ann New Member

Thank you. Photos attached in a few posts because too large to a
    Thank you. Photos to follow.

4. Joe-Ann

Joe-Ann New Member

It says photos are too large for server. Any advice as to how to attach. Thank you for your time

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

6. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

If the switch has been there 25 years no wonder it seized up what area of the country are you in..

7. Joe-Ann

Joe-Ann New Member

Manchester

8. Joe-Ann

Joe-Ann New Member