Button-fix fixers?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jockie Joe, May 7, 2016.

1. Jockie Joe

Jockie Joe New Member

Afternoon all.

Just wondering if any of you have tried button-fix fixers?

www.button-fix.com

KIAB likes this.
  2. aawills

aawills New Member

Yes, a lot but then I'm one of the designers of Button-fix. We designed them because we could not find any good fixings out there.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Superb fixings, used some Type 2 for a job, impressed with them.:)

Wish you could get them into SF or the competitor.
    Also got a few Type 1 Flush,did look your multijig, crazy price:eek:, just knocked up my own jig.:D

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    reg.marshall likes this.
  4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

You should do some sample packs for members.

You can avoid the Money Saving Expert freebie hunters and cross reference by just asking anyone who email you for their username on here.

reg.marshall likes this.
  5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

But Trevor will end up with loads:(

goldenboy likes this.
  6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Hopefully enough to sink him.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Got no need for these ‘buttons’ but in practical terms, are they much different to say Keku Clips or Flush Mounts ?

I’ve only watched one video out of bored interest

Just seems to be an invisible fixing that relies on 1 part fixed to wall and 2nd part fixed to object, and they’re removable

Same as 2 other fixings no ?

Don’t intent to rubbish the product, just wonder how it’s so different to other ‘invisible’ fixings out there ?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I find the type 2 are easier to use than the Keku Clips.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Certainly easier to say :p

teabreak likes this.
  10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’m just interested really - but can’t be bothered at moment to view videos !!

Just seems to be so many products out there that basically do the same task as existing items available yet they claim to have re-invented the wheel !

Probably unfair of me to make judgement as I haven’t invested the time to read up on them

Have no current use either, i just like to know about these things :)

11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I suspect this thread is a bit porky, but for once quite interesting as I hadn't come across these.

Squashrobinson likes this.
  12. reg.marshall

reg.marshall New Member

I've been using these for a while, and I agree with KIAB; they are much easier to use than Keku's, especially as you don't need to measure anything if you use the marker tools.. also they are in indestructible nylon, unlike Keku's, which snap as soon as you look at them..
    I don't understand why SF don't stock these? However you can easily find them on Amazon; If you are considering the Type 2 Fixes (push-on type) make sure you get the latest Type 2 blue buttons, with the fancy new click-on marker tools (if you do a search for "Button Fix Type 2 Bracket with New Upgraded Button x10 + 6 Marker Tools" you'll find the kit I just used for mounting an MDF bath panel) which have more tolerance, and even I have managed a good fit first time. They are a solid fit though; it takes a good tug to get the panel off, but rather that than falling on your toes.

13. reg.marshall

reg.marshall New Member

By the way Goldenboy, I've cadged a sample pack from them (admittedly only one of each of their various products, and no marker tools.. but hey, it was free) by emailing them at their info@button-fix.com address.
    I used the single Type 1 Fix to hang a bird box, but apart from the Type 2, I've not tried the others yet.

14. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

I tried them for a bath panel and they were hopeless - panel would not stay on.

15. reg.marshall

reg.marshall New Member

If they clip on properly, they are very strong; the times I've had a problem of them not staying on is when they are slightly mis-aligned (ie the clip doesn't line up with the slot in the button.)..quite easily done with the old green buttons; in which case, the Fix just rides over the side of the button, rather than clicking home into the button slot.
    That's why I mentioned the new 'upgraded buttons', which have way more width on the slot, with a big lead-in, and it is now nearly impossible to get them wrong (in fact I would say I haven't had to adjust or fiddle about with the Fixes atall with the new Buttons; they have worked first time every single install).. they've obviously designed the new blue button specifically to overcome that very problem.

16. furious_customer

Ah yes, that does look better. So they don't do the type 2 green buttons anymore then?

17. reg.marshall

reg.marshall New Member

looks to me like the original green buttons are still current for the other (Type 1) Fixes, but the new blue button is specifically for the Type 2 Fix: I guess it must've seemed like a good idea having one green button for all eventualities, but maybe a compromise too far for use on big panels, like bath panels. For those wondering what we're talking about, there is a video showing the new Type 2 Button here. And actually, while searching around, came across this neat video of Peter Millard using Type 2 to box in a messy lot of pipework.

18. furious_customer

It was the Peter Millard video that made me decide to try them.

19. Shytot

Shytot Active Member

20. reg.marshall

reg.marshall New Member

Yes I got samples of them aswell! But when you are fitting a bath panel (or any service access panel) onto a typical soft wood sub-frame, Fastmount aren't so handy, as they push the panel off by quite a long way, unless you use the type which sit in a deep counterbore - quite a lot of messing about frankly. The Type 2 Button-fixes allow the panel to sit absolutely flush against the sub-frame. For a 90 degree push on fitting, I've found the new Type 2 Button-fix by far the easiest.