Buyer Q&A

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by screwfix.peter, Feb 22, 2013.

1. screwfix.peter

screwfix.peter Administrator Staff Member

Hi

Welcome to the Power Tool Buyer Q&A

Peter

2. Screwfix.Buyer

Screwfix.Buyer New Member

Good afternoon

My name is Ben - im the Screwfix Power tool buyer.

Would love to answer any questions - plus take any feedback you may have on the range / price / promotions / brands etc...

3. Spooner

Spooner Administrator

Do you plan to rent tools?

4. Screwfix.Buyer

Thats something I have mulled over - but the customers I have spoken to would much rather have an offer from Screwfix that is build upon strong deals and prices. Its not something that I am currently working on, but if the general feel was that customers wanted a hire offer then I would of course work on a proposal. We have the brands, the products - so could be something to consider...

5. zebra

zebra Guest

How do you select, the tools for your range?

6. Nice is Nice

Nice is Nice New Member

Why can?t I get lithium ion tools delivered to France?

7. Justinshouse

Justinshouse New Member

Hi Ben, What is a hex driver??
    Justin

8. Screwfix.Buyer

I get excited when suppliers bring me in new ideas (like the recent 4ah li-ion batteries). Always on the lookout for products that will make customers lives easier, faster, and simplier - and I'm lucky that I work in an area where my suppliers come up with regular innovation.

I also try to visit China a couple of times a year to look for ideas outside of the UK, and am always surfing the web looking for other ideas that could be right for the Screwfix customers. Range is a big part of my job, and I'd welcome ideas from the forum on any lines not in the range you would like to see.

9. ibanezman

ibanezman Member

Are you really the buyer? It's not SF Alex, or Peter? Come on boys, is it really you?

Anyway, I was wondering, I trimmed down some doors recently and used my top of the range Draper corded circular saw. To be fair, it did the job, but it was just awkward with the cable. I am confused about getting a cordless one though. I don't really understand what the difference is between ni-cad, li-ion, voltages and aH. I treckon 18v is probably the way to go and the higher aH the better. Li-ion or ni-cad though?! My brother has had problems with the Makita li-ion batteries before now, so I'm not sure. If you were trimming doors at SFHQ, what would you use?!

And has Makita li-ion got better than it was 2 years ago?

10. Jasperoni

Jasperoni New Member

Hi Ben

What is the average run time for a 3Ah Li-ion and are all 3Ah batteries created equal?? i.e. will Makita and Dewalt have equal runtime?

Jasper

11. screwfix.peter

Hello Colin From QA here
    unfortunately Lithium battery transport is covered by special rules and regualtaions which prevent us currently shipping Lithium products into all of Europe
    We are looking for solutions to this problem  but should be okay for france
    please contact eu.orders@screwfix.com as there may be a problem with your account location
    regards
    Colin

12. screwfix.peter

Hello Colin Qa here
    It depends on what you are referring to
    a hex driver can be a bit to driver hex head screws
    or sometimes Hex driver could be an impact driver which are great for screwing in large numbers of screws
    Colin

13. Screwfix.Buyer

Hi Ibanezman

Yes its really me & I am the buyer. I been the Screwfix Power Tool buyer for a couple of years, and have agreed to take part on the forum chat this afternoon as its nearly the weekend and I owed the team a favour due to getting some strong Makita coverage on today's email.

If I was trimming a door here at SFHQ it would depend on how much I was looking to trim;
    *If you need to remove a very small amount I'd use a Bosch multicutter (75197)
    *If its alot then I'd probably use the Evolution Circular saw (84664)

Hope that answer cuts it... (good job I'm a buyer as my jokes are awful)

14. Spooner

Spooner Administrator

Cheers

15. screwfix.peter

Hello Colin Qa here
    The 3 Ah is basdically the size of your fuel tank  so a 4 ah would last longer than a 3 Ah
    The time a 3 ah would last isnt an easy question to answer , it really depends on what you are doing , but I would expect general use a 3 ah would last the complete morning or afternoon  before need a recharge
    Differnece between dewalt and makita comes down to personal choice , and the quality of the product , a high performance tool will generally use battery power quicker
    Always go for that second battery is my advice
    Colin

16. big all

big all Screwfix Select

when are you getting the ryobi 18v osscilating saw
    the 4ah li-ion battery
    and do you know if the 18v one plus laminate trimmer /light router is comming over here its the p600 in america

17. Screwfix.Buyer

Also Ibanezman I'd say battery technology is getting better & better all the time.

All the leading brands are bringing out better batteries - and within the last year you have seen big moves by Hitachi / Dewalt and others going into 4ah.

Look out for some other exciting news around batteries very soon - where we have a new platform from a leading brand launching on Screwfix.com hopefully on Monday.

18. Screwfix.Buyer

Hi Big All - thanks for the question.

Before I answer can you please let me know if your asking about a recip saw or a multi cutter ?

19. Foxfish

Foxfish New Member

Ben,

I am waiting to buy the white makita drill thats out of stock at the moment. I spoke to your customer service team and they weren't sure if its coming back. Do you know if it is? Or if your replacing it with another one?#
    Cheers.

20. ibanezman

ibanezman Member

Nice one - thanks. Pleased to hear there's enough muscle in the Evo saw to whizz through the finest mahogany doors ;)