Buying a Steel reinforced Prefab house - good idea?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jitender, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I am looking at buying a 1950's house that I am told is a prefab house with steel reinforcement, it has solid brick facing to the external walls.

The sellers agent say that they are having a survey carried out to indicate that it is ok or not. Do you think it is worth buying or best to stay away? I understand that these houses don't have a long life span...

It needs a lot of work doing, all of which I am confident in doing.

Any thoughts

2. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Hi Jitender, I've done a fair bit of work on prefabs, just down the road in Coventry, didn't expect much too be honest but as it turned out not only where they very nice houses, but built well too and they where cheaper to buy as people where steering clear because it was a prefeb. I think mortgages are or can be difficult to get...

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Thats not far from me.

The house is good and has lots of potential and in a good location, the estate is council. The agent said that first time buyers would struggle to get a mortgage unless they put down a large deposit. How is the electrical wiring done, i.e can the runs be chased in the normal way?

4. If the footings/brickwork have all been done, it should have a PRC certificate, if it has then go for it.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Thanks Cotswold, I will look into this and put in an offer and see how it goes.

I have been on the look out for a project.

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

As I understand it concrete spalling or "concrete cancer" as it is commonly known is the main problem, the rebar in the concrete rusts and causes the concrete to split, the brick facing might be covering this.
    Most non standard construction property is fine if you intend to live there or rent it out, but if you are selling on I would avoid it as few buyers will get funding.

FatHands likes this.