Buzzing Shaver Socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by olly_mcnab, Jun 7, 2021.

1. olly_mcnab

olly_mcnab New Member

Hi there,
    I have installed a shaver socket (or toothbrush socket), in our bathroom. Bought a cheep one and it buzzed so replaced with MK one someone on here had recommended, also buzzes.. have worked out the reason it buzzes is to do with where the socket is mounted. it is a a surface mounted backbox onto a plasterboard wall. when i unscrew the whole thing, and plug in i can barely hear it. So, my conclusion is that it is actually to do with how/where it is mounted. Are there specific/deep backboxes for shaver sockets? There is pretty much always a toothbrush connected as we all share a bathroom. so buzzing is continuous...
    the other side of the socket there is an access cuboard in the eaves where I have taken the power from, if i just wire up a normal socket in that cupboard, as it is technically not in the bathroom, and feed the toobrush cable through i will have solved the problem, right? is that a) legal b)wise...

any other simple solutions gratefully appreciated.

Ta

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

This is the size backbox you require for flush mounting a shave socket;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/appleby-2-gang-galvanised-steel-back-box-47mm/29466

As you've got a stud wall (by the sounds of it) this metal box would require some timber fixed behind it and to wall to provide a fixing point - or if luckily up against a stud, can drill through side of box and screw into stud

Alternatively, use a plasterboard box, simplicity in itself (although others will rubbish this choice)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/appleby-2-gang-dry-lining-knockout-box-47mm/45057

All transformers hum a little bit, I recon yours is being amplified by the surface mounted pattress box and then the hollow wall - much like an acoustic guitar amplifies the strings via the hollow body. You've confirmed that the noise is barely audible when the socket is removed from wall

Use the box in the 2nd link, cut a neat, tight fitting access hole and fit socket. Hopefully should quieten down things and look a lot neater also

Good luck

3. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Yep, this is common, all transformers hum a bit as said, and the stud wall acts like a soundboard amplifying the hum.

If you just use it for mains operated shavers it could be re-wired to the switched feed to the lights, but thats no good for rechargeble stuff.

If you wet shave and just use it for toothbrushes you can replace it with a wall mounted toothbrush charger, has a much smaller transformer and doesn't hum as much.

50Hz hum can really get to some people, they just cant tune it out.

4. olly_mcnab

olly_mcnab New Member

replaced with plasterboard box as suggested. seems to have helped a bit... but "I" can still hear it, suppose i always will as I installed it... the wife doesn't so i will probably just live with it.

if I can't live with it, will take the box off. and install a normal socket in the eves and feed the toothbrush cable through.. (the socket inside a cabinet so won't look unsightly..

thanks for all the advice

5. IW guy

IW guy New Member

The hum from a shaver socket is 100Hz as the lams "bounce" twice per cycle. However.......

6. IW guy

IW guy New Member

Don't think that would comply as the toothbrush will no longer be isolated.

7. adgjl

adgjl Active Member

You will need either a wall-mounted toothbrush charge with a fuse/isolator outside the bathroom, or charge the toothbrushes in your bedroom. As far as I am aware shaver sockets are not continuously rated and may not last being on load 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

8. IW guy

IW guy New Member

Never seen such a warning on ones I've bought. Although I don't charge 24/365 I do recharge when necessary overnight and the shaver sockets become just about perceptibly warm.

9. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Not compliant and very unwise.

10. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Have you tried gently thumping the shaver socket with the side of your hand to see if the buzzing stops? It's surprising how often that works.

11. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

I think the older shaver sockets are generally better quality. We have some 20 year old ones that are silent, yet a recently fitted one in our extension buzzes loudly.

12. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

How many watts is the toothbrush charger rated at?