bycycle lock...damn thing

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by arsenalboy, Jun 4, 2006.

1. arsenalboy

arsenalboy Member

Here is my problem!!
    I keep my double extension ladder in the garden by the side of the house and use a bicycle "D" lock to secure it to my down pipe for safety.
    I needed to use the ladder but hadn't unlocked it for a year or so, obviously the rain and damp have done their best to freeze the lock.
    I have been patient and over a period of a week or so have spent every evening with wd40 and jiggling the key for 10 mins at a time trying to work it loose, but no good it is solid. As I needed to use the ladder I took my downpipe off the wall and got the ladder free, but I cannot extend it because the D lock obviously holds both sections together.
    I have accepted that I will have to wreck the lock somehow but obviously they are made thief proof. The metal itself is about 7 or 8mm dia and I have tried a metal jigsaw blade but it hasn't even touched it.
    Anybody got any ideas?

2. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

use an angle grinder with a metal cutting disc.

should cut through it, even hardened steel.

3. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

sorry should've said use a disc meant for cutting metal.

4. !!

!! New Member

one way of freeing rusted on nuts is to heat them with a blowtorch (only seen this done I've never tried it), it makes the metal expand which helps some how, perhaps blasting the lock with a blow torch may free the lock.

If that doesn't work its a case of an angle grinder and alot of discs those D locks are tough bugg*rs

5. PDPS

PDPS New Member

6. PDPS

PDPS New Member

Just a thought - pop down to your local fire station. Explain the problem. They'll remove it in minutes and deserve a donation to whatever charity they're supporting.

7. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

Borrow an angle grinder, with a metal cutting disc.
    Dont matter if its hard, it will be through in a matter of seconds.

8. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

> Borrow an angle grinder, with a metal cutting disc.

I already told 'im that!

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Put the lock on something hard like a metal block and smash it to death with a hammer.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

10. plastic bertrand

plastic bertrand Active Member

No one's mentioned using an angle grinder, with a disc for cutting metal, surprised nobody fortovit?

11. !!

!! New Member

I mentioned it open your ***king eyes PB

12. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

I mentioned it first!

so the rest of ya can f-off!

especially plastic man.

13. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

use the scissor jack from you car if you can get it between the bars of the lock.

Should split it no problem.

14. Trog

Trog New Member

15. plastic bertrand

plastic bertrand Active Member

Hoy scroll back, I mentioned it FIRST. ;)

16. madidus

madidus New Member

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Why didn't I think of that ?

Where can I get one of those ?

All together now....

Mr. HandyAndy - really

18. nigel

nigel Guest

The internals are quite brittle, a few sharp blow with a hammer can shatter them releasing the lock.Worked for me.Or you can drill the lock quite easily.

19. HunterOfNumpties

HunterOfNumpties New Member

NO, no no, shouldn't you use one of thoses round spinny things with the rough plate like thingy on it that goes whizzzzzzzzzzz and covers evrything with sparkly bits?

20. G20rant

G20rant New Member

make some of your own thermite, put it on the lock and then light it, it will melt the lock off no problem, in under 3 secs.